Resolution for error: "JIRA Startup Failed"

Paul ! September 16, 2015
I installed Jira with Postgres . When I started the application , I got the following error:

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
  • RPC JIRA Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.ext.rpc)

4 answers

0 votes
Alexander Hanschke December 1, 2015

We ran into a similar issue today, where in the end JIRA would be locked after a restart. This was caused because the plugin com.atlassian.jira.ext.rpc was disabled. This, however, did not happen because it couldn't load properly due a timeout issue (as described here). It happened, I think, because upgrading the add-ons took longer than expected so JIRA disabled the plugin on purpose. I could have enabled it manually, but failed to notice it and restarted JIRA right away. Now the plugin was still disabled and I had no chance of changing it, since JIRA didn't start.

I fixed this manually, by connecting to the database and running the following:

update pluginstate set pluginenabled='true' where pluginkey='com.atlassian.jira.ext.rpc';

This was set to false before. I then started JIRA again and it worked.

Rajesh Pandurangan January 4, 2016

Had this similar issue. Fixed with this same command. Thanks!

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2015

Hi Paul,

If increasing the time out and increasing the memory doesn't work, please do a tail of your JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file while starting JIRA and let us know if you find out any further messages there that could help out.

0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2015

Hello Paul,

If increasing the plugin timeout don't work, please try https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Troubleshooting+JIRA+Startup+Failed+Error

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2015

This could be all sorts of things, but the most common one is a timeout. 

You should read the log to see what the error really is, but if it is a simple timeout, start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+System+Plugin+Timeout+While+Waiting+for+Add-ons+to+Enable

Suggest an answer