Resolution dropdown has garbage content from comments

Anjani Millet January 2, 2020

In both our prod and staging environments, and a bug being set to Done, the Resolution dropdown suddenly has dozens of garbage items.  After some research, I've found that those are clearly from comments made in various issue types, in a relatively new project. 

I think this may have been a data corruption in our latest true up, but I don't want to delete them if someone for some reason(?) copied and pasted these in this location.  It's weird.  I'm also concerned that before we upgrade to Jira 8.6, 8.5.1, which we just did, that this may port over to the other environments once we true them up again. 

Can anyone suggest how I determine when this happened, and how, and by whom?  And/or if it was a DB corruption?

Thanks,

Anjani M.

3 answers

0 votes
Anjani Millet January 6, 2020

1) Here is a screenshot for View Resolutions; half way down the page, the items in the resolution column begin with

Resolution: "Adjustments made to team sequencing, tools team has a plan.​"

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.58.24 PM.png

2) This resolution, if put into a jql query, "Adjustments made to team sequencing, tools team has a plan", is pulled from Comments in an issue made by "Ops Support Vijay" in the Working Model STAR project - Vijay is a member of our team. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.00.36 PM.png

Every one of these comment-resolutions tracks back to a comment made byt Ops-Support-Vijay on the Working Model STAR project, which is new.  

Just learned this appears to have been a Sharepoint error, imported during our upgrade/true up.  I'm not certain, still investigating.  As far as you know, could this have anything to do with 8.5 or upgrade to it?

Anjani

0 votes
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

The resolutions should definitely NOT change just because of commenting.

Some checks that might help:

1. Log in  as administrator and go to your "View Resolutions" screen and check if the resolutions are really persisted.
  2. You can also check the resolutions on your Jira-database with this SQL query:
    select * from resolution;
  3. Check if the unwanted resolutions are used in any issue by executing a JQL:
    resolution in (a,b,c)
  4. Delete the unwanted resolutions.
  5. Unfortunately the audit log will not have a log entry when to see who added a new resolution. Therefore it is difficult to find out who added one.
    Vote for this jira change request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-42746
  6. Restrict your workflows to only show the resolutions you want by setting the resolution property (jira.field.resolution.include) on your resolution transition.
    resolution-properties.png
0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Can you share a screenshot?

Suggest an answer