Reset issue numbering after a CSV import of tasks/subtasks?

Nathan_Swartzendruber April 23, 2019

We're setting up a project that uses the CSV import-issue feature to create sets of tasks and subtasks for publishing-related projects. Since we follow the same steps each time, I'm creating a template in Excel to generate the CSV file.

To create sub-tasks, the CSV file is required to include "Issue ID" and "Parent ID" records, meaning that I have to choose the numbering for the tasks instead of letting Jira do it. I don't want to accidentally update existing issues, so I'm choosing a number far higher than our current issue count.

For catalog 133, the first Parent ID will be CAT-13300. That gives us 100 tasks/subtasks to assign (which should easily be enough for the way we're using Jira here) before we start catalog 134 (CAT-13400).

But after some successful testing of the CSV task import, I noticed that tasks added after the import follow the numbering of the import. Previously we were at (let's say) issue CAT-700. After the CSV import of a few test tasks (CAT-13300 to CAT-13310), new tasks are at that jump-forward number--CAT-13311, CAT-13312, CAT-13313--instead of continuing at CAT-701, CAT-702.

I'm concerned that, if this is how the numbering goes, that catalog tasks and other tasks might use up that 100-task buffer between catalogs 133 and 134. I hadn't expected Jira would jump from issue CAT-700 to CAT-13311.

• Is this what y'all see after using CSV imports to create new tasks?
  • Is there a way to force Jira to continue numbering at CAT-701 instead of at the highest existing number?
  • For those using CSV imports to create new tasks, are there other strategies you use around numbering?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

You can't directly modify the starting point for the sequence.  As you've discovered, you can increment it by creating more issues (and then deleting).

But, you should never have a sequence counter lower than the highest numbered issue in the project.  Jira always uses the next sequence number, irrespective of if it's already there - when it is because you've hacked the number down below an existing issue, it fails in "interesting" ways.  It also messes up if you've moved issues out of the project.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

You can't modify how JIRA numbers issues. 

Creating new issues with a CSV import lets me set issue numbering and jumped overall issue numbering forward. So I have already modified how Jira numbers issues.

0 votes

I did a little more testing. In this example, assume that the Jira-created numbering was at CAT-700 and the CSV upload numbering was at CAT-13310.

1. I used the CSV upload to create ticket CAT-701
  2. I used the Jira interface to create a new issue, which Jira logged as CAT-13311
  3. I used the CSV upload to create ticket CAT-13315
  4. I used the Jira interface to create a new issue, which Jira logged as CAT-13316
  5. I used the CSV upload to create ticket CAT-705
  6. I used the Jira interface to create a new issue, which Jira logged as CAT-13317

It looks like I can bump Jira issue numbering forward at-will, and Jira will continue issue numbering from whatever max is in the system. If I created CAT-900000, future issues would number sequentially from there, however many issues I created by CSV import at lower numbers in the meantime.

Jacking up the issue numbering isn't the solution I'd prefer, but maybe it's the only option.

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

@Nathan_Swartzendruber 

As @Joe Pitt rightly mentioned we can't control the issue numbering in JIRA.

Suggest an answer