Reset Jira database

Marcel Vlems September 29, 2016

I want to setup a Jira-server (Ubuntu 14.04.5)  for testing purposes so I made a clone (using Vmware) of the live-server. Now I want to reset the database of the cloned server so I have a clean JIRA install.

How can I do that?

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2016

A simple clean way of "resetting" a JIRA is to re-import the startupdatabase.xml file that it creates in the import directory on start-up. 

It is a hard reset though, you won't get to keep anything at all.  Projects, users, schemes - all gone.

Marcel Vlems September 29, 2016

Nic, I like your solutions since a hard reset is no problem.

I found the file /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/startupdatabase.xml but how do I 're-import' it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2016

Ah, sorry, yes.

Login as an admin and go to Admin -> Backup and Restore and select the "restore" option.  It should ask you for the file to import and warn you that you're about to delete everything

Marcel Vlems October 3, 2016

I tried a restore but even when I enter the correct JIRA license key, it keeps saying 'Invalid JIRA license key specified.' I will have to contact JIRA support for this.

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2016

That would be hard, and i am actually looking into something similar. I want the whole JIRA structure with all our project, permissionschemas, workflows, custom fields, plugins and applicaion links, all issues, but simply remove all data allowing us to grant everyone jira-admin to play around on a sandbox, is this what you want to accomplish too? If so i am looking at the approach of running a script against the rest API that simply removes comments, descriptions and summaries, but leaves links, subtasks and everything structural but havnt gotten too far yet. We run JIRA 7.1.9

Suggest an answer