Requiring Values for Field

Hello, I am trying to force users to fill in values for a custom field if the value of a different field is set to a certain value.

Example: I have a custom field "Linked Issues". I want users to have to provide a value for this field if they specify the value "Duplicate" in the Resolutions field.

1 answer

1 accepted

I guess you want to perform this validation when performing a certain workflow transition. You can write a Groovy script validator for this. You need to install Groovy runner plugin for this.

Using Groovy, you can check the values of Resolution and custom field, and then display an error message and prevent status transition.

Alternatively, you can use use Behaviours and Groovy runner plugins together. Behaviours may work in issue edit screen as well. I guess following code will work for Behaviours.

if(!getFieldById("customfield_10000").getValue() && getResolutionObject().getName() == "Duplicate"){
  getFieldById("customfield_10000").setError("Resolution is Duplicate. You must set a value for this field.");
 } else {
         getFieldById("customfield_10000").clearError();
 }

By that you mean the list of issue links?

So, as per my understanding, if the Resolution is Duplicate, then at least one issue link (probably the duplicated issue) must exist. Am I right?

I made a mistake, Linked Issues is not a custom field, it is a field provided standard with Jira. I can't get it to work, because I am not sure how to specify it to throw the error if Linked Issues is left blank.

That is correct. I am trying to force our users to provide at least one issue link.

You have to have Groovy runner plugin for this.

For the workflow status transition where you need to perform the validation, add a 'script validator' - 'Simple Scripted Validator'. Part of what you need is already there - a bultin line of code. (Has at least one outward duplicate link)

issueLinkManager.getOutwardLinks(issue.getId())*.issueLinkType.name.contains('Duplicate')

If you can change it to something like this, it should work.

issueLinkManager.getOutwardLinks(issue.getId())*.issueLinkType.name.contains('Duplicate') || issue.getResolutionObject().getName() != 'Duplicate'

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 2 hours ago in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

13 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you