Required Fields don't pop up when is empty while transition

ahmed itman October 7, 2019

Say, We have 4 Steps ( x, y, c, z ) and we have a custom Field ( "A" ) it will be required in  "c" step.
in (x, y, z) steps it will optional, i can see it when clicking on edit button, but in x step it will be required, i can see it when click on edit button.

But i can go from x -> y -> c -> z without clicking on edit button and jira does not show a popup menu ( warning menu ) for required field.

How can i configure JIRA to show a popup menu for the required field, even if i do not click on edit button 

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

Sounds like you just want a validator on the transition that the field can not be empty. I think JSU has a validator for that.

If you dont have a transition screen configured for the transition, then while you will not get a popup if the issue fails the validator, you will get a message on your view screen indicating why it was unable to complete the transition.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

What plugin are you using to set the fields to required? Fields flagged as required in the field configuration scheme are required when creating an issue. The plugins I'm familiar with will allow you to require a field during a TRANSITION and the field needs to be on the transition screen. 

@Joe Pitt 
i configured the service to be optional as a default and it be required in c step ( using Behavior feature ).
yes in c step it will be required,when clicking on edit button only, otherwise i can ignore the required by click on "cancel" and click on z step and it will go to z step without any restriction.

Did i explain it properly  ?

@Joe Pitt 
Is their a method to show a popup (Warning message) window when required field is empty ( when changing the transition ) ?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

If it is required in step C the I would think the Behavior plugin should pop up a warning if it isn't filled in.  I'm not familiar with how Behaviors works,  use JIRA Suite Utilities which only will require during a transition, not when editing. 

Like ahmed itman likes this

@Joe Pitt  
Do you mean "Validator" ?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2019

I'm not familiar with Behaviors to answer the question. I don't use any plugin that allows the scenario you want. 

Suggest an answer