Request Entity Too Large

Nageswara Rao April 29, 2012

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource
/jira/plugins/servlet/gadgets/ifr
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2012

You need to identify what gadget is doing this and then

1) check that it's a valid gadget. If you've not installed any custom plugins that provide gadgets, then you are fine, but if you have, then it may be a bug in the settings or code for that gadget (the off-the-shelf ones may well have bugs, but a bug causing this problem wouldn't have made it to release)

2) Check what the settings for the gadget are and see if they're generating too much data.

The "ifr" implies a filter result to me, but I can't be 100% sure. However, if it is, then it's possible for a user to set up a gadget with loads of columns and a very large filter (especially if you've increased the limits on searching), and that could be overloading the dataset. If that is the case, they need a smaller filter or less details.

Your log file is likely to be VERY helpful in tracking this one down - have a read of that first.

1 vote
Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

I found this in JIRA knowledge base, you might want to change Apache settings to increase the allowed request body limit for the proxy

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Attaching+a+File+Results+in+Request+Entity+Too+Large

0 votes
Ajay Kumar November 17, 2019

How in cloud jira, we can update the HTTPD settings?

0 votes
Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

This might be individual browser settings related also. I clicked inside a standard gadget chart on machine A, B using FF10, IE8.

Machine A - IE 8, got request entity too large. FF, no problem

Machine B - IE 8, no problem. FF, no problem.

I also have a machine C - IE 8 disaply "request entity too large" right inside all gadgets.

In cases where I expereince this issue, I see the long query string with 413 error in apache access log.

0 votes
Nageswara Rao April 29, 2012

I am getting this message on a Dashboard. Can someone help me on this?

Suggest an answer