Reporting across two instances of Jira

Christy Miller December 3, 2021

We have an internal team Jira as well as our vendor has a separate instance of Jira for their work. I am looking to see if I could do reporting that would integrate the two of them.  Is there a solution that provides report across two different Jira instances so that I can report out on a project in its entirety?

6 answers

4 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Christy Miller ,

We provide an app called Dashboard Hub for Jira. One of the main use cases it supports is the reporting in a single dashboard of any number of Jira instances (or Confluence, Bitbucket...). It even supports Hybrid Dashboards that display information from cloud, server or/and data center in the same report. 

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 11.19.59.pngScreenshot 2022-01-16 at 11.20.10.png

Besides that, it comes with templates for dashboards, more than 60 different gadgets and metrics, custom charts, 10 product integrations, secure external share... 

You can see a live example here Agile Team dashboard where in the 3rd slide there's your use case, information from different Jira instances. There are more examples like reports for ITSM dashboard. 

Hope this helps!

1 vote
Rob_Huntley_Tempo December 13, 2021

@Christy Miller

Following on your query about reporting, EazyBI doesn't directly support reporting from two different instances but there is a handy work-around using a REST API.  So you can have EazyBI installed and running on one Jira Instance and import the required data from the other.

Here's the thread from the EazyBI community and instructions.

https://community.eazybi.com/t/eazybi-account-with-multiple-data-sources/4561/2

Rob

1 vote
Alex
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

Hi @Christy Miller, and welcome to the community!

At first glance, it looks like you can explore creating an application link between both instances. More info here. 

However, there might be some security and confidential aspects that your company and your vendor might need to consider since both sites will be connected and not only your project.

Another alternative would be creating a sync mechanism between the instances on which updates from your vendors' Jira project get synced to your company Jira project, and your report can fetch data from both internal projects. Again, there are security aspects at handed, and you might need an app to execute that.

I hope it helps. If this answer helps solve the problem, please come back and mark this answer as solved to help other community members with the same challenge. If not, you are welcome to share your solution as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Christy Miller December 5, 2021

Thanks so much Alex. I was wondering if there was a reporting tool I could use to bring the two together like Big picture maybe?

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 7, 2021

Hi @Christy Miller

Indeed, BigPicture is constantly evolving towards an umbrella portfolio management app. Hence, in H1 2022, we will introduce a new feature that will allow the integration of multiple Jira instances. Thanks to this solution, you will have a comprehensive view of the workflow and projects' progress in the entire organization.

I enclose the feature request ticket: ONE-38210 (please note that it is best to open it in the incognito tab of your browser). As I'm sure you've noticed, the functionality is already in the "Waiting for release phase". 
Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2022

Hi @Christy Miller

As everyone said, you can use several marketplace apps for your use case with none or a small set of additional customizations performed by your side. I'm highly recommending trying more than one app and using your trial period to evaluate which one works best for you.

I'll quickly mention a functionality we recently made for one of our apps - Shared Jira Dashboard Gadget. It's part of the Custom Charts for Jira app, and it's designed to help you arrange and share important information and reports with your team and/or people outside your Jira instance. 

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Christy Miller ! Welcome to the community :) thought I'd throw in some suggestions as well. Have you looked into Unito to sync information from both Jira instances? You could approach it in two ways:

1. Sync the two Jira instances together. Let's say you have a project in your instance that needs to sync to a project in the other instance. You can set up a flow with Unito so that all issues sync back and forth, or just a subset (e.g. just the issues you tag with "vendor"). It's a bi-directional sync, so any updates made on either side will sync.

2. Consolidate projects from the two instances into one tool. The idea would be to use something that Unito integrates with as your reporting tool (Google Sheets, Smartsheets, Airtable, etc.), and then sync issues from both instances into the one main tool to create a sort of reporting dashboard. 

Happy to provide more detail if this sounds like something you'd be interested in!

0 votes
Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_
Marketplace Partner
December 13, 2021

Hi @Christy Miller 

check this out , Time report from remote Jira - may allow you to combine timesheets from 2 different Jira instances in one report. 

If you need some help, please book a demo, so I can guide you through the setup 

Regards

Andrey

Suggest an answer