Reporter not receiving email update when issue is assigned

Right now any other email notifications are working properly. Reporter gets emailed on ticket creation, comment, resolved statuses, etc. However, when I assign the issue, the reporter doesn't get that event emailed to them. I'm using the default notifications scheme which has Assigned Issue as one of the notifications, and reporter is one of the added users. What else can I check in here to determine what the underlying cause is?

2 answers

Hi Nathaniel,

How do you assign a ticket? Do you use the Assigne operation or do you edit the issue and set the assignee?

Or perhaps you use a workflow transition and set the assignee in the popup dialog?

The way you assign an issue effects which event is fired.

The Issue Assigned event is only fired if you assign using the Assign operation from the issue screen.

If you edit and assign, Issue Updated event is fired. And finally if you assign via a transition, the event type set in the transition is fired which is not likely Issue Assigned.

Regards,

Tibor

@Tibor Hegyi [META-INF], yes I'm using the Assign operation from the issue screen

Is the Reporter the person who assigns the issue?

Because in this case, the reporter user's profile setting "My changes: do not notify me" may cause that emails are not sent.

So if you test it yourself, please make sure you change your profile setting for the time of tests.

Right now I'm using two separate users, one acting as the customer creating the issue, and the other as the service desk agent assigning the issue. I'm able to send test emails normally to different domains through the outgoing mail screen in jira, so I feel the issue must be on the JIRA side here.

0 vote
Mahesh S Community Champion Oct 25, 2016

Have you added 'Assignee' against 'Issue Assigned' event in the Notification Scheme?

Is the Assignee getting any other notification while assigning to him?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

246 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you