Reporter domain for issue security level

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2014

I have a JIRA project where clients from different companys report issues. Each company can have 1-5 users (same reporter domain). Using JIRA Toolkit plugin I can get statistics per company.

But now I also want to restrict issues based on company. I know I can create groups and use them, but then the users reporting should pick the correct one and that will not work.

Are there any tricks out there to get around this and use reporter domain in some way to add users to a field which can be added to the security level. Or any other way?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2014

I ended up doing it the following way:

For each user I added a user property called company. The value for that is set to the same as the company group.

I added a single group picker custom field, called Visible to. This field I add to the Security Level that is set default.

So when creating the issue I copy the value from this property to the group picker.

Works like a charm!

1 vote
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2014
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

No, you'll need to map them into groups, or roles. The reporter domain isn't used in Jira's permission schemes.

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2014

Hi Nic!

Thanks for answering. I know that it is not part of that, nor possible to add in the security level, so that is why I am asking here to get some cool tricks :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

I don't think there are any cool tricks - you need to create a way of grouping the users together that Jira can actually use.

The only thing I can think of is adding some code that will extract the users domain and automatically put them into a matching group, or automatically add it to the issue when they raise it (as a select-list option, you'll then be able to use it in security levels)

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2014

Yeah, that was my thought as well. And I was hoping someone else had done something like that before...

Suggest an answer