Reply to Incoming Mail by commenting on created issue

Bunyodbek Kosimov August 23, 2021

Is it possible to reply to an incoming mail by commenting on an "Issue" that has been created by Incoming mail? Like if I write comment to an Issue (created by incoming mail) it should reply to an email sender.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

If configured to send a notification then the Reporter will receive an email. If the desired person is not the Reporter or Watcher then you could consider using Automation. Of course you need to know who to send the email to so unclear where that email address would be stored if not the reporter or watcher.

basically it is designed to work like this…

1. User A sends email to configured email handler address
  2. Issue is created
  3. Jira generic event results in email notification to user A that issue was created
  4. User B (Assignee?) makes a comment
  5. Jira sends email notification to all interested parties: Reporter, watchers
Bunyodbek Kosimov August 25, 2021

Thank you for your help Jack,

Yes, the problem is to find a way to reply an incoming email if the sender is a dummy account. As per the documentation I used a dummy account to handle the mails from non Jira user accounts. Even if I use automation I cannot reply to real sender of an incoming email. Are there any other ways(just in case) to catch the email address of the sender from the body (from description field) so that we can use automation rule? 

Also the emails in inbox are deleted all the time. Is it possible not to delete it? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

I have seen a couple of posts where folks are doing just that - looking within the body or description and pulling out the email then using that email for whatever purpose such as sending an email to that user.

I recommend searching the community. Here’s an example that I found with a quick search - Automation-Regex-extract-email-address-from-Issue-Description 

Like Bunyodbek Kosimov likes this
Bunyodbek Kosimov August 25, 2021

Thank you

Suggest an answer