Rendering active links in the description from a Zap (on Zapier) to Jira

Deleted user September 24, 2019

Hi,

We've been trying to connect an Airtable status change to push a new Jira ticket. It's all connected; however, we have an issue where when we create the description we can't get the links to render we've tried a number of formats including:

• link in plain text stays in plaintext
  • [external_link] 
  • [title of link|external_link]
  • [title of link](external_link)
  • <a href="external_link">title of link</a>

In all cases, we get a plain text representation. Not clear how to construct the body of the description on Zapier so it renders properly.

Any ideas! Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

As mentioned in the new jira issue view documentation page, the editor in the new issue view uses markdown rather than wiki markup and a the below examples of markdown are provided:

• ## This is H2 style (we support H2–H5)
  • **bold** for bold
  • *italic* for italic
  • ``` for a code block
  • [this is link text](www.atlassian.com) for this is link text
  • * for bulleted lists (like this one (wink))
  • 1. for numbered lists

However, while the correct syntax is indeed [title of link](external_link) as mentioned above, it looks like markdown formatting is not working in your case because of the below bug:

Please vote for the above bug ticket and set yourself as a watcher so that you will be notified in case of any update/progress. The bug will be addressed according to the Atlassian Cloud bug fixing policy.

Cheers,
Dario

Madison Kaylo February 7, 2020

Dario,
How do I sign-in to upvote this issue?

If I go to that bug and try to log-in to upvote it I get this message:
Screenshot 2020-02-07 12.09.32.png

Madison Kaylo February 7, 2020

Also the article you linked does not even show the markdown for links :(

If I would not have found your message, I wouldn't know what Jira thinks is a 'link' in that article.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Madison Kaylo

Kindly notice that the example I provided was copy-pasted from the below documentation page that was linked on the first line of my reply: 

Also, I have now added the markdown for links to the markdown formatting in Jira Cloud  page as well, but please notice that the markdown syntax is widely used and that you can find it documented a bit everywhere, for example:

Finally, as regarding not being able to login to up-vote the bug ticket, can you kindly try to log-into https://jira.atlassian.com/ using either a different browser or an incognito/private window (or both) and see if this works?

Cheers,
Dario

1 vote
kyle October 26, 2021

Definitely interested in this fix :) 

0 votes
JRP_Mike NA June 9, 2022

Has anyone got an answer for this? I'm creating issues through Zapier and I can't figure out how to have my links come in formatted properly to display as links. What does the editor transform the links to (how are they saved in the backend)?

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the link to the bug before...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events