Rename "Issue" word in Jira Cloud

WAJDI ALZINATI July 22, 2020

Hi, 

How can i rename "Issue" word in Jira Cloud? also is there any solution to sync issues between Jira Server & Cloud to be as an active link?

3 answers

0 votes
Michael Carter November 30, 2022

I have a real issue with the word, "issue" being baked-in to Jira. Aside from the emotional tone of the word, it's just not apt for proactive tasks. Sure, if there's a bug / problem / ticket, there's an "issue" to resolve... but when you are using Jira for managing the creation / building of things, "issue" just doesn't fit. Atlassian should provide a global variable where the word can be edited to be what works for the organisation -- e.g. Task, Item etc.

George Haney November 30, 2022

I totally Agree that this has been asked for since 2012 is a total showing that they either don't know how to decouple it or they looked into it and it costs too much... 

The questions is :  What are we going to do to get them to listen? It isn't like we are converting to Click Up or Monday,com in sufficient numbers to make the notice.

0 votes
George Haney August 5, 2022

Vote for this on Atlassian 

Change title "Issues".

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21475 

Matt Wilkie October 26, 2022

Voted. tried to leave a comment to but the form wouldn't let me save.

"Yes please! 'Tasks' is a much better term for our team than 'issues'. The prevalence of the term everywhere in the interface and reports is frequently brought up by our manager as a reason to search for another platform besides Jira."

Like Michael Carter likes this
0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2020

Hi @WAJDI ALZINATI ,

So... for your two questions:

• The short answer to renaming "issue" is... nope. I think this stems from Jira's genesis as a bug tracking tool and hasn't updated to match it's new world ability as a very capable process engine. In my shop, nobody refers to a Jira "issue"; everyone just calls them "tickets"
  • For syncing issues, the best thing you could do is start with federating your on prem and cloud instances. This page provides a good primer on that. I am not doing this now but have done so in past shops and federated Jira instances work well. Another bonus is that, if you connect all your instances to a Confluence instance, it also can see and use all of your federated instances.
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

actually I like "issues" for JSW. i use "tickets" for JSD. but that is just me. :-)

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

The official term for JSD would actually be requests.. at least according to the REST API naming :)

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2020

To add on what @Mike Rathwell said, his page recommendation is a good read.

To sum it up, you have to choose between these options:

• Linking
    • You want to create application links between the different Jiras/Confluences so they know each other and you can create links between them.
  • Syncing
    • You choose an app for issue syncing which actually updates the tickets bidirectionally.
    • You can choose to implement the syncing yourself using some automation or scripting tool.

You have to choose what matches best your needs. If you're not sure, you can also try to describe your needs in more words to get better recommendations from the Community.

PS: I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync, so I might be a bit biased.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events