Rename labels

We tag JIRA issues with labels to make it easier to find related issues across projects.

One of the labels we use is the customer's name. Problem is that companies sometime change their name. Now to the question: How can we change the name of a JIRA label in use?

I don't want to go through all issues and update them manually so is there an easier way to simply rename an existing label?

We use JIRA Ondemand.

5 answers

There's a decent "Bulk Modify" workaround:

• search for issues with your particular label
  • bulk edit -> select all -> edit issues -> change labels -> add to existing. Add the new label
  • go back to your search and bulk edit again (at this point, both the new and old labels should be present)
  • bulk edit -> select all -> edit issues -> change labels -> find and remove these. Type the old label name.
  • celebrate!

This solution ultimately worked for me after I changed permissions to be able to edit closed tickets.

Excellent, thanks.

This would typically require a backend database change, so I can think of 2 alternatives for OnDemand.

1) Submit a request to support. They may be willing to update the data table and reindex JIRA for you - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/141323/is-it-possible-to-rename-a-label

2) Use the "Bulk Modify" feature to search for issues with "CompanyZ" and add the label "CompanyZee". This will remove all existing labels from those issues!

+1

It'd be great if there could be the "Edit name" option for Labels, in the same way it is for Epics.

The ability to directly do what we want always beats having to indirectly take five steps to do what we want. And this is a fairly common operation.

If it's a common operation, you have a bit of a problem with your users.  Might be worth fixing the problem at source.

The "source" is things change over time. You can't really fix that, you can only adapt to it.

That would only lead you to a small number of edge-cases though.

I understand that from a developer's point of view (the JIRA team), this would be a low priority because (a) it doesn't happen THAT often and (b) there is a not-TOO-onerous workaround. But from a user's point of view (multiple JIRA users who have posted here, including myself) it happens sometime and we would like to be able to directly perform the operation, so I "voted" for it.

I'm not sure what your point is, though... Are you part of the JIRA team voting to not implement this? Or are you saying you never have the problem so you don't care if it gets implemented?

That's fine, but I think you have to understand that software can't do everything.

I'm not an Atlassian, and I'm not saying this is something I would not want to do if I were.  But I've got a list of things I would like Jira to do, and this is the sort of thing that is very very low down it, as you say, because it doesn't happen often and the workaround is trivial.

I understand how software is developed and how feature requests get prioritized. I thought this feature would be nice to have, so I expressed that opinion to give a little input to the JIRA team.

If you think it's important, have a look at https://jira.atlassian.com - that contains all the feature requests.

The community here generates some, and discusses them, but has zero weight when it comes to prioritisation.  You should find the request and vote for it - that's the main input Atlassian use from customers.

I don't think it's that important, actually. But thanks for the pointer in case I find an issue in the future I really do want to vote up...

Just want to chime in an say this is a much wanted feature for us to. (we also use ondemand)

+1 We have many use cases when project names, etc. change or we need to modify, etc.  'Having to make a back-end manual update to correct/modify something that any user can set on the fly (and not be able to change) is not very user-friendly.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Meet the AUG leaders of Northern Virginia

@Rachel Wright (Jira Genie), @Billy Poggi (AUG NOVA, DC), and @Dana Jansen (Confluence Queen) are just some of the folks that lead one of the world's most active Atlassian User Group (AUG)....

158 views 5 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you