Remove user from role not fully working

Antônio Duarte June 10, 2019

To remove a user from an assigned role inside a project, it is enough that I find his name on the Project Roles page and click on the garbage can icon, as shown in the attached image.

BUT, for a specific user in our JIRA environment, clicking on this icon has no effect! The only way to remove this user from this role inside this project is to enter in the user administration page and edit his project roles from there!

Why this user role cannot be removed in the "regular" and easiest way?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio Duartrole.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2019

Hi @Antônio Duarte ,

You Can take a look at the log files, maybe there is something logged when you try to remove that user. Start with atlassian-jira.log in Jira-Home/logs

If you can not find anything there, I would try to reach out to the support ,as this sounds like a bug.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Antônio Duarte June 11, 2019

Hi @Bastian Stehmann 

Nothing found on logs.

I'll try with Atlassian support.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Antonio.

Andre van der Elst June 14, 2019

I have the exact same issue, in one of our projects I can remove some users from a role by clicking on the trashcan icon, for some other users nothing happens. Also no log messages when I click the icon.

fwiw, I'm using Jira 8.2.1

Brian Cope July 19, 2019

I came across this today in our Jira (8.2.1).

When I looked into it I found that the username in the Users and Roles screen and User Management screens didn't match the API call in the logs ("DELETE /rest/api/2/project/xxxx/role/10002?user=xxxxxxx"). The username the API is using  was her maiden name and we have since updated it to her new last name.

I tested remove her via the API with her new last name and it worked. Any ideas on how to fix this so I can use Users and Roles screen again?

Antônio Duarte July 22, 2019

I opened a ticket with Atlassian support, and in my case the problem was because some of the usernames started with a "0" (the number zero) and in this case, JIRA removed all the non-significant zeroes, so at the end, the username was different.

Example: the username was "0045382", but if I clicked on the trashcan icon to remove it from the role, JIRA was trying to remove a user whose name was only "45382".

Brian Cope July 22, 2019

We use first.last for our usernames so we apparently have a different issue. Guess I need to reach out to Atlassian support. Thanks for the update.

Like Antônio Duarte likes this
Sekhar Chandra February 10, 2020

Hi @Bastian Stehmann 

What if this happening in Jira Cloud?

Currently I'm facing the same issue in my Jira cloud when attempted to remove user from multiple roles in a project. I'm getting an error message "something went wrong, try again." 

Thanks.

Sekhar.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Sekhar Chandra ,

just wait a bit and check if it happens again. If it still happens, you will have to reach out to the Atlassian Support, I think.

Veronika Dvorska April 9, 2020

Hi,
is there any progress in this case? We have a user that cannot be removed via garbage icon. Please can someone insert issue where is solved?

Many Thankx

Veronika

Veronika Dvorska April 9, 2020

Meanwhile little investigation I´ve made. If this happen again, go to users profile - view project roles - edit project roles and click out user from the project and role you don´t want him to be in.

Like JH likes this

Suggest an answer