Remove time tracking (original estimation) field from all issue types except Epics for all screen.

Narbeh Yousefian January 30, 2018

We run Jira cloud and use Epics as a top-down approach to set estimation in hours. We then use tasks (story, Task) to log hours to that Epic. 

I'd like to set Original Estimate as a required field for Epics to enforce this model but not have the estimation field on any screens except when writing Epics. 

In the admin, you can configure custom fields to only work with an issue type. But time tracking is a system field, how do you go about modifying it so it only is available in screens where the task type is an Epic?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

You could remove it from all the screens you don't want it on, but the other (possibly easier) option would be to change the "field configuration" so that they hide it for all but Epics

Hi Nic, thanks for the reply. Can you provide more info as to how to hide original estimate for all issue types except epics? In the field configuration, I can't see how I can subset to only show for Epics. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

Look for the "hide" option next to it in each field configuration that is not associated with Epics

Thanks for the follow-up. Hiding it hides it for all issue types. I only want it shown when you are on a screen and the issue type is Epic. If I hide it, it just hides it for all issue types. How can do I hide it from all issue types except Epic?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2018

As I said, you need to hide it in Field Configurations that are bot for Epics, and show it in the FCs that are associated with Epics.

It sounds like you have not yet separated your field configs in a way to allow this.

Ahh right. Ok, got it working. Thanks! 

Suggest an answer