It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Remove the "None" option from radio buttons

When creating radio buttons for the page where you resolve or close an issue, the system automatically produces a radio button called "none". Is there a way to remove this option?

7 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted

If you need the user to select a value for the radio button (i.e. the field is mandatory) and just want to remove the NONE, you can set it to REQUIRED in the field configuration and the NONE option will disappear (at least in JIRA 6.0.1).

As an administrator, click the COG icon to the left of your avatar, choose issues, then field configurations and then against the field you want to change, click the Required link under the operations column. Now the radio button will be mandatory and the none option disappears.

Many thanks, that worked well with Jira 5.1.3

3 votes
jlarge Atlassian Team Jul 27, 2011

We've got a couple how-to's on this. It's a fairly popular customisation:

Those aren't for radio buttons, but it's a similar configuration. Also I haven't verified those in 4.3 and 4.4. Is that enough to get started? Let me know if I should write up a similar specific one for radio buttons, or if you get stuck.

You have to make the field required in order for none to disappear, others may able to be comment on a hack or something, but out of the box none appears because the field is not required.

This is a problem for us often as well.

This does not appear to work. We made the feild required, and set the default to another option. None still appeared.

You have to make the field required, then the 'none' won't be there anymore.

It is not working in my case..

That doesn't work.

In cloud Jira, no matter what I try, "None" is still presented as a radio button choice.

Like Richard Parsons likes this

You should also ensure that the field is set as required within the Osed Field Configuration in the Project.

In the project Settings, go to "Fields" and check if the field exist in the list and if it is set as required.

If not set, click on the Actions button -> "Edit Fields" and set the field to Required.

It works for me on JIRA version 7.13.5

Making the field required is not letting the issue created. The required field containing screen is attached to the state that comes later in workflow.

But This workaround not letting the issue create.

Behaviors (part of ScriptRunner) can solve this scenario.  You can set the field to Required only on a specified transition screen or state.

Adding behaviour didnt hide "none" option in my case

In v4.3.3

I also had to remove 2 extra lines in the top.

============

<input$!{checked} class="radio" id="cf-${customField.id}" name="${customField.id}" type="radio" value="-1"

<label for="cf-${customField.id}">$i18n.getText('AUI.form.label.none')</label>

============

I’m trying to remove ”none” from radio button field but it’s not working
I removed these two lines from edit-radio.vm file

#if ($hadAnyValidOptions == false)

<input checked="checked" class="radio" id="cf-${customField.id}-none" name="${customField.id}" type="radio" value="-1" />

<label for="cf-${customField.id}-none">$i18n.getText('AUI.form.label.none')</label>

#end

And restarted the server..

What more to do? Did I miss something?

I don’t want to make these fields required

It worked to remove “none” from select list fields (How to Remove 'NONE' from a Select List Custom Field)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

344 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you