Remove the "None" option from radio buttons

Max Goldberg July 27, 2011

When creating radio buttons for the page where you resolve or close an issue, the system automatically produces a radio button called "none". Is there a way to remove this option?

8 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Trevor North June 22, 2013

If you need the user to select a value for the radio button (i.e. the field is mandatory) and just want to remove the NONE, you can set it to REQUIRED in the field configuration and the NONE option will disappear (at least in JIRA 6.0.1).

As an administrator, click the COG icon to the left of your avatar, choose issues, then field configurations and then against the field you want to change, click the Required link under the operations column. Now the radio button will be mandatory and the none option disappears.

Johannes Rudolf January 30, 2015

Many thanks, that worked well with Jira 5.1.3

Like Berenberg_io Team likes this
Joseph Cohen August 27, 2020

that worked! thank!

5 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2011

We've got a couple how-to's on this. It's a fairly popular customisation:

Those aren't for radio buttons, but it's a similar configuration. Also I haven't verified those in 4.3 and 4.4. Is that enough to get started? Let me know if I should write up a similar specific one for radio buttons, or if you get stuck.

1 vote
Shashank Singh August 31, 2017

Making the field required is not letting the issue created. The required field containing screen is attached to the state that comes later in workflow.

But This workaround not letting the issue create.

Michael Pollock April 6, 2018

Behaviors (part of ScriptRunner) can solve this scenario.  You can set the field to Required only on a specified transition screen or state.

IT OPS department April 18, 2018

Adding behaviour didnt hide "none" option in my case

1 vote
Honey Raj May 4, 2016

You have to make the field required, then the 'none' won't be there anymore.

Foram Trivedi October 8, 2018

It is not working in my case..

Jeffrey Seltzer October 16, 2018

That doesn't work.

In cloud Jira, no matter what I try, "None" is still presented as a radio button choice.

Like Richard Parsons likes this
Krasimir Boev September 10, 2019

You should also ensure that the field is set as required within the Osed Field Configuration in the Project.

In the project Settings, go to "Fields" and check if the field exist in the list and if it is set as required.

If not set, click on the Actions button -> "Edit Fields" and set the field to Required.

It works for me on JIRA version 7.13.5

1 vote
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2011

You have to make the field required in order for none to disappear, others may able to be comment on a hack or something, but out of the box none appears because the field is not required.

This is a problem for us often as well.

Max Goldberg July 27, 2011

This does not appear to work. We made the feild required, and set the default to another option. None still appeared.

0 votes
Silvi February 4, 2021

The only viable option to date is to put the field as required in the field configuration or a script. The Behavior does not work

0 votes
Rusul May 7, 2014

I’m trying to remove ”none” from radio button field but it’s not working
I removed these two lines from edit-radio.vm file

#if ($hadAnyValidOptions == false)

<input checked="checked" class="radio" id="cf-${customField.id}-none" name="${customField.id}" type="radio" value="-1" />

<label for="cf-${customField.id}-none">$i18n.getText('AUI.form.label.none')</label>

#end

And restarted the server..

What more to do? Did I miss something?

I don’t want to make these fields required

It worked to remove “none” from select list fields (How to Remove 'NONE' from a Select List Custom Field)

0 votes
Eddie Mei April 23, 2012

In v4.3.3

I also had to remove 2 extra lines in the top.

============

<input$!{checked} class="radio" id="cf-${customField.id}" name="${customField.id}" type="radio" value="-1"

<label for="cf-${customField.id}">$i18n.getText('AUI.form.label.none')</label>

============

Suggest an answer