Remove/hide "Description" section from issue overview

Emile van den Ende August 23, 2012

Hi,

Does anyone now a trick to hide the entire section on an issue which is called "Description"?

For this issue type (bug), I don't use or show the description field on the create issue screen, but still it shows up on the overview screen.

It does not really bother, but if it's empty always, why leave it there, right? I just want to hide it from this screen...

Thanks!

Emile

Issue overview

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emile van den Ende August 26, 2012

Ok guys, thanks for your answers, I guess it cannot be done in OnDemand.

0 votes
Ash Bladon November 28, 2018

You can hide it in on demand.  I remember doing this five-six years ago so I don't think it's new.  If you only want to do it for one project, then you'd need to create a new field config scheme and apply it to that project - with description set as 'hidden' in the field config.  

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

I bet that you can modify the code in here, https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/PIGKBw to do what you want.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

not in onDemand I guess!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2012

Just hide it in the field configurations.

Hi Jobin,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I probably forgot 1 key piece of information:

it's not about the field actually, it's about the "description" section in the overview. Just like you see "details" and "attachments" as sections.

Is there a place where I can change this and move some fields around in those sections? (moving some fields from "details" to "description" would also be a very acceptable solution for me).

Thanks again!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2012

If the field Description is hidden, the whole section goes away. But to move the fields around, you need to modify the view issue plugin which is bundled in JIRA.

I have written a post about modifying bundled plugins here:

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/05/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins.html

Like Cyril Lavanchy likes this

I have hidden the description field, but no luck...the section still remains.

I use the OnDemand version of Jira, so no option to modify the bundled plugins.

Is there something else I can try to make the section go away?

Thanks!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2012

I have hidden the description field, but no luck...the section still remains.

Strange because I see IsFieldHiddenCondition in the code. There is no other option in onDemand.

Ok, then probably there is no way it can be done? Damn :)

Suggest an answer