Remove fields from a company managed project

Steve December 6, 2022
Our JIRA tickets have many fields which are not relevant to us but are used by other project teams. Before I go ahead and remove them from our project, I'd like to understand the implications of my actions.

If I remove fields from our company-managed JIRA project, as an unrequired outcome, will it automatically replicate those changes to other projects?
And secondly, having read some of the documentation online, if the project was created with a template, would there be an adverse effect on other projects using the same template?
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not proposing to alter any templates.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1 answer

0 votes
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

Hi @Steve

Welcome to the Atlassian community.  After reading your request it seems you want to remove fields, as I understand, from a screen used in a project.

Please note that in Jira, projects can share configuration, for example, two different projects can be using the same Screen scheme or Permission scheme or Field configuration scheme, so if you change anything in those, the two projects would be affected.

When I am going to do something like removing a field, I check first that the screen is being used only for that project (if the requirement is only to disable it in only), if it is not, I copy the screen scheme and screens that are going to be updated so I can isolate the change only to the project and issue type needed.

Also, be aware that are other implications because a field could be used in:

• Automation rules.
  • Workflows transitions, validations.
  • Field configuration, for example, the field you are removing is marked as required in the configuration field scheme.

Hopefully these fields you are going to remove is not in any of those and it's an easy trip.

I hope this answers your question.
David

Steve December 7, 2022

Thanks David, I've noted your suggestions and will investigate with the team's help.

Suggest an answer