Remove comment field on transition

Joan Andreu Juan Torrens November 26, 2018

I'd like the comments field not to appear in some transition screens. Is that possible? I've read similar issues that include the use of plugins, but they are quite old.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

Out of the box every transition screen will have a comment field. You'd have to modify the source code for that. There may be a plugin that does it. However, beware if the plugin isn't supported it may not be available at the next version of JIRA. 

Joan Andreu Juan Torrens November 29, 2018

Thanks Joe, so basically there are no means to do this without coding or plugins. Am I right?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2018

correct. 

P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2019

What a shame. So either you have to code the stuff yourself or you have to depend on commercial plugins. I think there are enough companies which have this use-case so that there should be an improvement in Jira's core functionality. In the simplest form it could be a transition property same as the workflow status property jira.permission.comment.denied=true.

Like # people like this
Jason Child March 17, 2019

Why not just edit the Announcement Banner (System > User Interface > Accouncement Banner) and inject some CSS styles to simply hide the comment input... simple, but effective:

For one specific form:

<style type="text/css">
div#edit-issue-dialog div.form-body div.content div.field-group.comment-input {
display: none;
}
</style>

or... for all forms:

<style type="text/css">
div.jira-dialog div.form-body div.content div.field-group.comment-input {
display: none;
}
</style>

Cheers.

Fakhfouri Vahid May 15, 2019

Hi

Jason, does this work with the Cloud version? 

Doods Perea October 10, 2019

I am also using Jira Cloud. I would like to hide the Comments field only in a specific Transition Screen, not all screens.

Like Rebeca Moreira Lopes likes this

Suggest an answer