Remove Advanced Formatting Tags From Export

derrickm June 1, 2022

I am using formatting tags in a ticket.  For example,

{panel:title=Issue Detail|titleBGColor=#CCFFCC|bgColor=#FFFFCC}

When exporting, the 'code' is also exported instead of just the real text.  I would like the export to exclude the formatting coding & only show the 'true' text.  I have seen https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-59964 but that is still unresolved after 6 years.

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2022

Hi @derrickm

because you mention the linked Suggestion

it is positive that a Suggestion is logged but it cannot be said if it will be introduced in any of the next versions of Jira - so an idea that comes to my mind is to replace the unwanted content directly in Excel.

Surely, this would need to bring complex search & replace patterns in.
A short check with google using the search terms "excel search replace regex" brought up some ideas but I agree this could be an extensive task.

I fear the most effective way would be to reconsider what is worth more in terms of business value. The formatting (could be if data should be highlighted in a proper manner) OR the clean export (if cleaning up the data in Excel is not considered something you would want to to).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

Which is the export target format?

derrickm June 6, 2022

I am exporting to Excel

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

With the Better Excel Exporter app, you could this recipe to transform any cell content. You could implement a simple script that removes the unwanted parts by matching regexes and such. It doesn't seem very difficult.

I suggest this approach, because you may want to remove some markup constructs (like "{panel}"), but others like the bullet items with the leading '*' can be very useful (see the last column!), therefore you may want to keep those:

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-comments.png

(Discl. it's a paid and supported app our team is developing.)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira would have to parse and understand content to try to make a decision as to whether chunks of formatting are actually content or not.  It's not a simple thing to do, and Atlassian have it way down the to-do list as it's difficult and most people don't need it.

What they really want to question, but never quite admit, is "why export?".  Exported data is instantly obsolete and usually not particularly useful.   So my question is driven towards "why are you exporting?  What problem are your exports supposed to resolve?"

derrickm June 6, 2022

I am exporting to compile a weekly report to track various measures.  While there may be a better way to produce this within Jira, it's our current process. 

Suggest an answer