Released tickets have the resolution unresolved

Julia Olbrich February 26, 2020

Tickets that have been released still appear in the section "open issues" since they are marked as resolution: unresolved. Furthermore the tickets are still "open" with the result that they move from spint to sprint without being in the sprint as an actual ticket (i.e. not visible under "active sprint"). 

The sprint ends with the column "fertig (done)" after that the tickets move to a Kanban-Board waiting for the release. When they are released (Jira Release) they manually receive the status "Deployed auf live".

It seems that not every ticket within that process has an unresolved resolution, but until now we cannot find a pattern. 

Is there a way to mark all these tickets as resolved?

screencapture-lucas-nuelle-atlassian-net-browse-STUD-484-2020-02-26-13_33_32.jpgscreencapture-lucas-nuelle-atlassian-net-issues-2020-02-26-13_15_58.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2020

Hi Julia,

Have you checked the Jira issues need a resolution KB Article?

Regards

Julia Olbrich February 27, 2020

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the link. I fixed the workflow with the resolution.

Kind regards

Julia

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 27, 2020

Nice!

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2020

this is a problem that seems to be cropping up of late. Issues need to have a resolution set. Unresolved means the resolution field is NULL in the database. this means the workflow isn't providing for setting the resolution before going the status flagged as Done. You need to fix the workflow. 

The transition moving to Done needs to one of two things; 1. Present a screen where the user sets the resolution or 2. Sets the resolution in a post function. 

To correct the existing issues you can add a transition from the done status back to itself with a transition screen to set the resolution or a post function to set it. The other option is to add the resolution field to the edit screen (which you should NEVER do in production), bulk edit the issues to set the field and then REMOVE the resolution field form the edit screen. 

Resolution Field can't be made optional. DO NOT put the field on any screen except the one presented in the transition where it is to be set. Resolution is a special field in JIRA. It has an initial value of ‘Unresolved’, which means the field is NULL in the database. It is ALWAYS required when it appears on the screen. ONLY display it on the screen during a transition to the status where you want it set

Julia Olbrich February 27, 2020

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with option 1 is that the done status is not the last step. It marks in our workflow the end of the sprint but the tickets continue to another board where the last status is Deployed to live. Can you explain me in more detail, how I can edit the resolution field in a ticket when it is flagged as done?

Thanks

Julia

0 votes
Erika Reategui April 20, 2023

Hello,

I have an issue with my DONE issues showing as unresolved status. I already set a resolution screen to the workflow and it is working fine for new tickets, but the current issues are still showing as Unresolved.

Anyone that can help me find out how to update the Resolution to DONE for current issues? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Conexo_-_Issues_-_Jira.jpg

Thank you

Marketplace Partner
April 20, 2023

Hi there, what i would do is...

1.- Edit current workflow to add a temporal transition from Done to Done status

2.- In this new transition add a transition screen with the resolution field placed in the screen.

3.- Using JQL search for all issues on DONE status where resolution Unresolved

4.- Bulk transition them and  from DONE to DONE and set the resolution for those issues

5.- Delete this temporal transition from DONE to DONE and also the screen you created.

6.- Make sure your original transition from status XXXX to DONE either include a transition screen to force users to set the resolution or either create an automation rule or postfunction to set the resolution automatically.

I hope this steps help you in your journey,

Cheers

Like Erika Reategui likes this

Thank you for your reply Jack, I will follow those steps and let you know if it works

Hi Jack,

It worked. Thank you so much.

Marketplace Partner
April 20, 2023

Anytime, have a great day.

Suggest an answer