Release in next-gen projects

Jens Egil Evensen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2018

How do I create a release in a next-gen kanban project. My "done" queue is growing larger.

Or is there any other way to move things out of the board?

8 answers

2 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2018

Hello,

There is no release button or releases in the next-gen projects.  Issues in the Done column will be automatically removed from your board after 14 days.

You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/get-started-with-next-gen-boards-945104903.html

Jens Egil Evensen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2018

Thank you!

Like Rae Beck likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2018

You are welcome!

Stuart Tiedeman October 25, 2018

This explains why I have not managed, after 2 hours of googling, to find a way of adding the VERSIONS function in my next gen projcet - so HOW do we track releases in teh new project(s)? - My Dev Team used teh Fix Versions field to assign issues to releases, which we kind of got into the habit of doing...  HELP!!??

Like # people like this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2018

@Stuart Tiedeman You can not use the version feature of classic projects in next-gen projects yet. Maybe this feature will be available in future releases. Right now you should stay with classic projects, if you want the version feature.

Like # people like this
Stuart Tiedeman October 25, 2018

You're very kind to take the time to reply, thank-you.  This has actually transpired to have caused us a significant challenge as a team, as we all spent days migrating over, only to find this KEY MISSING FEATURE!! - Let's hope they monitor the Community and fixt this sharpish!

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Evan Chapman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 15, 2018

Yes! Voted on both - Cheers, @Greg Jankowski

Tac Leung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 10, 2018

This is also a necessary feature for my team to migrate. I have voted on both.

Arvid December 13, 2018

Agreed! Voted on both.

Jason Schloer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 23, 2019

Our issues don't seem to be leaving the Done column. Is there any way to force them along? 

Drew Angell February 22, 2019

Take a look here:  https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software?_ga=2.17164347.324070790.1550860760-1297518159.1549311486#result-2496330f

That is the Next Gen Roadmap Shipped section, specifically for Deployment Integration.

The screenshot is a Next Gen project, and it shows RELEASES in the right sidebar.  

Does that means it's already being worked on coming soon even though it's not listed on the roadmap?

Here is the screenshot I'm referring to:

deployments-integration.jpeg

Marijn Scholtus
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 25, 2019

@Drew Angell The releases section in your screenshot is probably the existing Jira + Bitbucket Pipelines integration: https://bitbucket.org/blog/jira-software-bitbucket-pipelines-new-integration-gives-continuous-visibility-from-backlog-to-release

Like Ryan Beymer likes this
Ryan Beymer February 27, 2019

Yep this is BB pipelines. 

Sean Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 6, 2019

The whole Next-Gen project is a complete waste of time. Stick with Classic.

Like # people like this
Lily March 7, 2019

We enabled Next-Gen releases in our app Swanly release timeline for Jira Cloud.
You can create release for Next-Gen project in application. We're currently working on showing Fix version field in Next-Gen issues.

There is much more features available eg. Visualisation of releases on Timeline, Adding custom stages to releases, cross-project releases…
(I'm the product owner of the app)

Mick Might July 31, 2019

Slightly misleading, since this is a paid add-on which should be explicitly stated.

Like John Worrall likes this
Damian Esteban
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 31, 2019

I agree.

Koen Williame
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 14, 2020

Releases and versions are now available. See the answer of Rob Wilson below (which imho should be the new accepted answer): https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-Release-in-next-gen-projects/qaq-p/1253764/comment-id/61262#M61262 

You do have to enable it manually in project settings since it is disabled by default.

5 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 17, 2019

Releases and versions are now available in Next-gen projects. I found this recently under "Project Settings --> Features":

releases-1.png

Afterwards, "Releases" will show up in the primary left nav:

releases-2.png

Colin Goudie July 21, 2020

Atlassian, can you please fix the issue whereby the Release 'version' link is not going to the Versions/Release page for that version? It is just going to the JQL for that release. 

Like Rob Wilson likes this
John Worrall November 12, 2020

After I release a version, all of the Done tickets from that version are still sitting in the Done column - shouldn't they go away?

2 votes
Johan Lejdung December 3, 2019

I'm also wondering about this. I have a board that's filled to the rim with Done issues. I've included them all in a Release and Archived that version but they are still there. 

What gives?

2 votes
Jerome F_ August 14, 2019

1 vote
Kahlia Pyle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2023

Hello!

It sounds like you have a special interest in releases. If so, we’d like to invite you to a private community designed to better understand our customers different software releases processes, and to share some of our release management ideas for feedback.

If this sounds like you, keep reading.

• This community will be a place where you can ask questions, suggest ideas, and provide feedback on releases. We may also email you directly with questions outside of the online group.

• It’s for anyone who has a role to play in preparing, planning and/or deploying a software release.

• The community will run for about 5 months, you can stay for as little or as long as you like. 

• The group will be managed by Kahlia Pyle, Zaki Salleh and Andrew Pankevicicius

Please click here if you are interested or email me at kpyle@atlassian.com

Thanks - we’re looking forward to shaping the future of Atlassian products with you!

1 vote
Lily March 19, 2019

We enabled full support for release functionality in Next-Gen projects in app Swanly release timeline for Jira Cloud.
You can create release for Next-Gen project, access Releases screen and assign versions to Next-Gen issues. just like in clasic projects.

There is much more features available in the app eg. Visualisation of releases on Timeline, Adding custom stages to releases, cross-project releases…
(I'm the product owner of the app)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219470/swanly-release-timeline-for-jira

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 17.19.27.png

Mick Might July 31, 2019

This is a paid add-on which should be explicitly stated.

Like # people like this
Jerome F_ August 14, 2019

So i have to pay for such a basic option :O

Thanks but... No ^^

Like erick likes this
Pernilla__Penny__Larsson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 11, 2020

@Lily Is there a reason for not clearing the "Done" column of its tickets whenever you release the version they belong to, or is this feature yet to be developed? 

I've read that the tickets in the "Done" column is archived after 14 days, but my preference is that they are remove together with the corresponding version as I release that version, or the "Done" column early get very cluttered. 

Many thanks 

Pernilla 

Like melissa likes this
0 votes
Erick Vanegas May 17, 2021

What We want is a Release button in which all "done" issues will be  marked automatically as selected Version, and also disappear from Board!

0 votes
Jeffrey Chongsathien August 14, 2019

Either create a Fix versions label field, or use the OOTB Labels one (which will at least give you the drop-down backlog filter).

erick April 3, 2020

Great workaround but this is not a replacement for the Versioning feature. 

Suggest an answer