Release Button Disabled due to "No issues to release" (have multiple issues in "DONE")

Alex Reizer February 26, 2018

In a Kanban project board administered by me, Release option is disabled.
It indicates "no issues to release", despite having multiple stories, bug and sub-tasks in the DONE column.

4 answers

1 vote
Travis T April 13, 2020

Done is my last column. I have manage spring/resolve issue permissions but I continue to get the message that "there are no issues to be released". What could be causing this?

0 votes
Tracy Taylor January 28, 2022

I just ran into this (seeing "no issues to release") and tried everything above to no avail.

Then I went back and made sure FixVersion and AffectsVersions were on all my screens (which they weren't). 

After I did this, Release worked. I cannot guarantee this did the trick, but worth a shot if anyone else bumps into this thread.

0 votes
cia December 21, 2020

Was this ever answered? I have all permissions and the Release button is grayed out. This seems to happen every few months. I have plenty of tickets and sub-tasks in the Done column and usually, when I click Release, that column disappears. Now I can't even click the Release button.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude February 26, 2018

HI @Alex Reizer,

To see the Release option you should have the Project Administrator permission for the respective project..

I do. 
Under the Project's "Settings" - "Permissions" - "Administer Projects", I'm there. The "Release" button is greyed out.

Should I have a Version with issues assigned to it BEFORE this becomes available?

When hovering over it, it says "No issues to be released". I have some issues in "DONE" status and column, so what could be preventing it from becoming active?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Do you have "resolve issue" permission?  This would stop you being able to put a fix version on issues, which blocks the "release" if you cannot do it.

Yes, I do. It seems the issue isn't in Permissions, but in that despite having "DONE" issues, the button is greyed out because there are "no issues to be released". Have you encountered this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Do you have issues in the "done" column?  If you do, are any of them sub-tasks?

Yes, I have multiple items in Done, some Stories, some Bugs, some sub-tasks.
What should I have in DONE in order to be able to Release?

Salvatore Carida April 30, 2018

Is your Done column the last column on the right on your board? Check the board settings to see if the Done column is a final state column...

Marc Luijting June 7, 2018

We have a similar issue. We have several issues in the last column of a Kanban board. When clicking the the Release button, I get the option 'New version'. After clicking on that, nothing happens. There are a few unreleased versions available in the project.

The strange thing is that this behavior is not always consistent. Using the Release button on an other Kanban board and returning to the first one enables us to release the completed issues there.

Any pointers on how to avoid this would be helpful.

Matt Harrison May 24, 2019

For me it was because I didn't have the Done column as the last column.

I'd added a Blocked column (that was empty in the case) as soon as I reordered the Release button became active again.

Like Greg McElroy likes this
Greg McElroy June 21, 2019

I had the same issue. Done was not my last column. Once I moved Done to be the last column it was OK. 

Tatiana.Gonchar January 3, 2022

There is a bug in Kanban board. In case you select Swimlanes by Epic, the release button stops working. I set both Epic and all stories in it into Done, but could not release. After I changed swim lanes to Stories it started working.

Like Rohit Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer