Reindex Field Descriptions from Scriptrunner Console (or other means)

Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2019

I have a single Jira server  instance that takes hours normally to reindex. This system is critical, and regular downtime/degradation from re-indexing is not acceptable.

Is there a way from the script console (or another way) to re-index ONLY the field descriptions without locking the database? It seems editing these often times requires a re-index and we are at a point in time where many changes are needed to be updated in an expeditious manner.

We are working with hundreds of custom fields.

Regards,
Steven

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2019

This was a case of user error.

A complexity in our environment where you are pre-populating data used in the creation of another issuetype which is opened with the data and the original data is cleared in a post function. I was editing the field configuration for issuetype B, when in fact the data was being entered on issuetype A to be transferred to B.

Long story short, my mistake. Thanks Nic again for the answer.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2019

I think we need to understand if you mean "The system field called Description" or "The descriptions of fields"  (If it is the second, then indexing is not a problem, we need to look at something else)

Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2019

Apologize for my lack of clarity.

Descriptions of fields.

I was noticing quite a delay when updating these fields during higher instance use. I didn't know if there was method to force sync the data. I'm working after hours now and the update time seems much faster.

Regards,
Steven

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2019

The description of a field is not part of the Jira index, and is trivial when looking at performance, it's just served up as part of any view of an issue.

I think you need to look elsewhere if you are having performance problems.

Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2019

Thanks I will do that.

Suggest an answer