Regarding Multiple JIRA instances

Nilesh Deshmukh October 10, 2019

Hi,

I have created 2 JIRA instances on using single port (8080) and with different ip addresses.
(like 10.10.10.11:8080 and 10.10.10.12:8080) I need below information.

1) can same user jump across these 2 instances.If yes please send steps.
2) Can we update,delete projects across these 2 instances.I mean instance 1 user accessing instance 2 project data etc).

Regards
Nilesh Deshmukh

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hi,

Looks like You try make 'datacenter' from 'server' https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/server-vs-data-center-whats-right
Maybe simplest use datacenter?

But interesting question. As experiment (only on test env) make two instances and connect both to one DB and share one file storage.

B.R. 

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Agreed - he will probably have to access nodes with different urls always and never use one single dns for his jira instance in data center which again defeats the whole dc purpose 

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

You can have one common LDAP Active Directory configured for both instances so that the users are similar in both the instances.

When you say jump across or between these two instances - I am not quite sure what you mean or intend to achieve.

Jump across means user in instance A can login with same credential in instance B and can view edit/comment projects in instance B

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

JIRA has DataCenter version - you can individually access nodes/instances with the same ID , update projects from any instance and see it on the other instance as well.

But , I am sure when you are using data center - you would not want to access instances individually ( though you can ) but via one single DNS or url.

Yet - you can also have two different urls or two different nodes I guess.

I have JIRA server setup. Using Data center will be lengthy solution. on 2 different server instances one user should be able to login with same credentials and access project data of these 2 different instances. Also we should be able to restrict field level access for users.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

And will both instance have the same projects ? Or do you want just common users between the two instances ?

Both instances can be used by different teams, for e.g 1 instance for business users.So projects will be different.common user can pull data from one instance to another.Same user can view data , download reports make communication. I am just checking with backbone issue sync plugin. 

Suggest an answer