Redmine (plan.io) import fails with anonymous users

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

Hi community - we are migrating a large Redmine (plan.io) site to Jira and using the Redmine importer with Jira Core Version 8.3.5 

It worked well but as soon as a ticket has an anonymous user as author then the importer crashes. 

Do you have any hints how to fix this ? 

Many thanks and best regards

Peter

com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.redmine.RedmineRemoteException: 
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.redmine.RedmineClient.getUserName(RedmineClient.java:387)
	... 45 more

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

It seems the importer just can't handle that.

com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.redmine.RedmineClient.getUserName(RedmineClient.java:387)

If you have access to your Redmine database, I would suggest to update all "user-less" redmine-issues with a dummy user, so that the import works. 

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

Hi Leonard - thanks for your answer.

That's me current plan. But I was wondering if there is another way to fix it 

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

You would have to patch your Redmine-Import Module in your Jira System for it to work, so it is very unlikely to be successful with that.

I'm sure Atlassian would appreciate it however, if you'd report the bug in the Redmine Importer

com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.redmine.RedmineClient.getUserName
Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

We could fix the problem by adding a login for anonymous user in Redmine via direct database edit

<login>
anonymous</login>
<firstname/>
<lastname>Anonymous</lastname>
<name>Anonymous</name>

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer