Recurring task in jira

ashwini.todewar@definelabs.com January 9, 2020

I am looking for how to set a recurring task in Jira.
Suppose I have to check my member billing for a different account on a different day so is it possible on Jira to set repeated task

Say there is one department ruby
another department python

I want to check if ruby department's salary is credited to there employees account on 6 th of every month

and also if python department's salary is credited to there employees account on 28 th of every month

I am expecting here that if there is any way to get notification from Jira that you have to check salary credited for a specific department

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

As Pete mentioned, you will need an addon for this. There are two or three that are sort of specific to the task as Pete offered. However, consider a more flexible addon that can potentially do more for you in the future, e.g. Automation for Jira, Scriptrunner, Powerscripts, etc.

1 vote
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

There is a (paid) add-on for Jira which does this:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213072/repeating-issues

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

Hi ashwini.todewar@definelabs.com  - Here's what we do:

1. Created a custom field of type Radio Button (but you could also use Select List (single choice) called Recurring Need (you can call it whatever you want).

2. Populated the Recurring Need field with values for Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-Annually, Annually, etc. - whatever values you want with as few or as many. 

3. Then created a post function on the transition to Done using JMWE to Create a new issue using the clone link type. 

4. In the Due Date field for the new issue, use the code: {{ issue.fields.duedate | dateadd(12,"m") }}

5. Identify what fields you want to be copied to the new issue. 

6. In the Run this post-function conditionally section, use the code: {{ issue.fields['Recurring Need'].value == "Annually" }}

7. Make sure you initial issue has a Due Date value. 

So, when an issue is moved to Done, it will create a new issue with the Due Date exactly one year in advance (in this example) regardless of when it was actually marked Done. Then I have a Swim Lane on the board that checks for things due this week (or Today or this month or in the next two weeks, whatever you want). Then the issue will move into that Swim Lane so I know it needs to be accomplished. When it is Done, another new card is created, etc. 

You could also do the Clone with Automation For Jira or ScriptRunner or another add-on you may already have. 

I hope that helps!

how to do this on Jira software if I have not installed recurring task add on
It is possible one tester can do this if he doesn't have admin rights 
Do you have any video links or documents so that I will understand?

how to create this customer field

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

You would need to get the Jira Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions add-on (JWME) to do what I described above. You will need to be an admin to install the add-on and to modify the workflow. 

Once you do that, I will be happy to provide you with any help needed.  :-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

You can also do it with the Automation For Jira add-on. Looks like you might need to get that one anyway to help with your other question about scheduling emails to be sent. I can help you do both Recurring Needs and Scheduled emails in Automation For Jira once you get it added.

Just a note, any of the links you see with Confluence in the URL is just where the document is stored that will guide you on how to do what you need. You do not need Confluence to view those. Just click on the link and read.  :-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2020

Hi Ashwini - Did this ever take care of what you were tying to do?

0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hello ashwini.todewar@definelabs.com !

We've accomplished a similar task with the help of the following:

• Date/(Time) custom field
  • Issue filter subscription

The idea is to change Date/Time to the desired specific day and when it comes all the subscribed users receive a letter. The drawback of this method is that you have to set the next date manually every time.

We could also possibly fine-tune filter subscription to send notifications on the specific day of a month:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/constructing-cron-expressions-for-a-filter-subscription-765593786.html

and to choose the issue by its key, for example.

I think it worth trying

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Just a small follow-up.

Please note, that new issues wouldn't be created in this case. The existing ones would be brought to your attention with the help of issue filter subscription.

Isnt it possible with jira software ?
or this thing needs confluence ?

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2020

Hi ashwini.todewar@definelabs.com !

Yes, it can be done within Jira Software

Suggest an answer