Receiving error in catalina.out file when starting up new install of 4.1.2

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

I have a requirement to upgrade our current production system from 4.1.2 to 5.0.2. In preparation to get to that point, I have setup a test JIRA installation on another system and will be doing the migration steps using the Restore from XML. I chose to use the WAR/EAR installer to keep it in track with the current production system and followed the instructions to a tee. However, when I start up JIRA from within Tomcat, it locks up and the following error is found in the catalina.out log file:

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.lazyreference$initializationexception: java.lang.noClassDefFoundError: /javax/transaction/Status

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:115)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:73)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.PropertiesManager.getPropertySet(PropertiesManager.java:74)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getOption(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:261)

...more

This is followed by: "Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/transaction/Status

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassl(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)

and more of the same "at" statements.

I've searched for this error online, but I haven't really found anything that relates to what is causing this error and why it's stopping JIRA from starting.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

Are you sure you have the jta jar in your lib folder of your tomcat ?

Seems to me that you didn't update the lib folder of tomcat with all the required libs.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

Check https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Tomcat+6.0, chapter 4.2 there's a link to a zip file there

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2012

I had thought of this, but there were files there by this name already and I can't easily download from where I'm installing so I thought I would be okay. But this ended up being the problem afterall. I marked it as the correct answer and thank you.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

Must be a third party plugin. Can you attach the full stacktrace?

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

Unfortunately I cannot provide the full stacktrace. Customer policy prevents me from doing so. As for a 3rd party plugin, wouldn't that require that I install one? This is a initial install without adding any additional plugins or anything. It's also on a Linux VM and there's no virus scan software installed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2012

>As for a 3rd party plugin, wouldn't that require that I install one?

Could be the other way around - your data might depend on a 3rd party plugin being available, and it isn't in your new system.

Can you see what happens if you run it with a clean empty database?

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

This is a clean database. I haven't actually gotten to import any data yet. Initial install of the WAR/EAR, startup of jira, fails due to the errors mentioned above.

Suggest an answer