Receive email notification when issue is blocked by another issue who's status is Resolved

BC September 20, 2019

I understand how to setup notification and notification scheme for an issue. What I don't understand is how to make Jira work like Bugzilla such that a child bug's assignee is notified when the parent bug's status is moved from In Dev to Resolved. 

Use Case: As a client software engineer, I want to be notified when our Release Manager posts updates to our Operating System to the WWW so I can quickly update our Client's XML file so it points to the latest version number of the OS. 

GIVEN that Jira has an Issue called "SR-101: Post OS to WWW"

AND that SR-101 blocks another issue called "SR-102: Update Client XML file"

AND Barney is the Assignee to SR-101 (post)

AND Fred is the Assignee to SR-102 (update XML)

THEN when Barney marks SR-101 as "Resolved"

Fred should receive an email notification from Jira stating that SR-102 is now unblocked and ready for him to update his XML file. 

Has anyone explored and worked around this issue? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hello,

Currently this is not possible using native jira notifications, and we have the following feature request tracking interest in this, noting there is a workaround of using ScriptRunner to trigger a custom notification that has a scripted function Update blocking issues:

Make sure to add a vote to the request to help us track interest in this per the Implementation of New Features Policy

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer