Read Only JIRA Group

Chris S July 31, 2014

I would like to make a group of users that have read only access to all JIRA project. I have found an outdated link that talks about this, but it seems to only be relevant for JIRA 5 and I am using JIRA 6.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+make+a+Read-Only+user+through+permissions+and+workflow+conditions

How do you create a group, that I can ad users to, that has read only access to all JIRA proejcts in JIRA 6?

Thanks,
Chris

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

It's pretty much the same in version 6 as it is in 5.

You need to create a new group then change the permission schemes to grant it "browse project". Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users

Chris S July 31, 2014

Also, do I have to do anything with workflow conditions as well? Or, can they be ignored.

Chris S July 31, 2014

If I create a read only user and only add them to the "Browse project" group, they are not able to log in. Do they still have to be in the jira-users group as well?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2014

Sort of.

The group "read only" is doing what you expect. But it does not grant the right to log into Jira - that is handled by putting people into "Jira users". But, you don't *have* to use "jira users", you can add one or many groups to the "can log in" permission.

I suspect the most simple approach for you is to put "read only group" into "can log in" alongside "jira users" (Admin -> Global permissions). The downside with that is that ALL new users are automatically added to ALL groups in the "can log in" section, which might not be what you want

You can ignore workflow conditions in the later versions of Jira. In 6.2 and below, I used to have to tell everyone "if you do not put conditions on your workflow, then ANYONE can use the transitions", but Atlassian have finally added a new permission of "can use transitions" which now protects transitions from anonymous usage.

Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

If your jira is not open for anonimous user - you should add this user to the group that has use jira permission (i.e. jira-users). If you don't want to - you can add the needed group to use jira global permissions (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissionsjira users section)

Chris S July 31, 2014

Thanks for the explanation. I think the easiest route would be to add "can log in" permission to my read only group. This would be much more safe than adding them to the jira-users group. (They woudl receive additional permissions I don't want them to have.)

How do I go about adding the "can log in" permission to my read only group? I see the 'Add Permission' section on the "Global Permissions" page, but I don't see a "can log in" option in the Permission dropdown to give it to my group.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

Sorry, I tend to call it "can log in" because it's more helpful than "can use" or "jira user"

Click on the first drop-down and find "Jira Users", and select your "read only" group in the second list, and belt "add"

Chris S July 31, 2014

No problem, thanks for your help!

I now have my jira-read-only-users setup with global permissions for 'JIRA Users' and 'Browse Users'. However, when I log in, I am not able to see any projects. (I am not even able to see the Projects menu at the top of teh screen. Am I missing another global permission that is needed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

You need to include the group in the permission scheme(s) for the projects too, on the "browse" line. (Or via a role)

Chris S August 1, 2014

I added my group to the projects "browse" permission scheme and I can now log in and and see everything in a read-only mode just as I wanted, thanks!

The only odd thing I found was that I am still able to change the workflow status of an issue. Is this expected?

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2014

Just make sure that the user is only part of jira-read-only-users group. If you are able to change the workflow then this permission must be coming from some additional group which is assigned to user.

Chris S August 3, 2014

I have only made the following changes to my jira-read-only-users group:

* Added jira-read-only-users to the Global Permission 'JIRA Users' and 'Browse Users.

* Applied a premissions group to a given project that give jira-read-only-users access to 'BOrwse Proejcts'.

* Created a user and only assigned them to he jira-read-only-user group.

However, I am still able to change the workflow status of an issue to my user added to the jira-users-read-only group. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2014

They must be getting permission somewhere. Have you verified you did give 'anyone' or the jira-users group permission?

Chris S August 4, 2014

No, I did not verify a wrong permission for 'anyone' or the 'jira-users' group. Where would all the places be that I should look to verify this information?

Thanks,
Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2014

Ok, it's just the move of issues through the workflow that you can do with your read-only user?

That's a common oversight by new Jira admins (and it's improved in the latest couple of versions of Jira). You haven't put any "conditions" on the workflow transitions. Jira doesn't do it by default, so admins have to remember to add them as they build a workflow. Even the most simple one of "user must be in the role of user" is not there by default.

Chris S August 4, 2014

Nic,

A read-only-user can only move an issue through workflow and nothing else. (Yes, I am a new JIRA admin. :-))

I am currently running version 6.1.5. If I upgrade to 6.2, are adding the workflow conditions in still needed?

Thanks,
Chris

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2014

I don't think the fix for the default arrives until 6.3, possibly 6.4!

It works by adding an extra permission to the schemes of "can transition issues", so to use it, all you do is NOT grant it to your read-only group!

Chris S August 5, 2014

After I added in the workflow conditions, I now have everything working perfetly! Thanks for all your help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2014

It's the comment about "anyone". when you add a permission, look for the "group" called "anyone". Recommendation: *NEVER* give "anyone" anything other than "browse" access to projects.

0 votes
Olivier Orlow December 2, 2014

I have read and followed the instructions, but I don't see a reference to an anonymous user (i.e. without a Login). What am i missing?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2014

Please read the answer and follow-up comments on this question

0 votes
Olivier Orlow December 2, 2014

How can I achieve anonymous read-only access to JIRA cases?

Any help would be appreciated.

Suggest an answer