Re-prioritize backlog using Aha! Rank

LG January 15, 2020

We've recently purchased Aha!

They have a Jira integration and recommend adding a custom field in Jira named "Aha! Rank", which allows Aha! to populate it with a number to display which order it's in in Aha. Does anyone know if I can use this custom field to rank the backlog in Jira instead of the default rank field from Jira?

Right now, I can move backlogs around in Aha! but it doesn't re-order them in Jira - all it does is update the value in the custom field. (not really helpful) - right now, we're having to prioritize backlogs in Aha! and then again in Jira - duplicate work. That can't be right?!?

I'm sure many people use Jira & Aha! - how are you prioritizing backlogs in both products?

I asked Aha! how to handle this and they suggest to just use the "Aha Rank" custom field in Jira to sort the backlog. However, from what I'm reading online, we have to use the Jira Rank in order to pull backlogs into Sprints.

Thoughts?

1 answer

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

@LG

By default, Jira prioritises the ticket using the native 'Rank' field in the board.

You can update the board filter to use "Aha! Rank" to order the tickets so that you don't have to manually re-prioritise the tickets in Jira.

e.g. update the filter from:

project = CPS ORDER BY Rank ASC

to:

project = CPS ORDER BY "Aha! Rank" ASC
LG January 27, 2020

@Veera 

Thank you for your response Veera. I ordered by Aha! Rank as suggested and it did prioritize the backlog but now we can't create Sprints or move backlogs into Sprints. It is requiring to order by Rank ASC to use Sprints. Any ideas?

Like # people like this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

@LG 

Changing the ORDER BY clause to "Aha! Rank" field shouldn't cause the issues for you. I have tested it in my test site and working fine for me.

Do you mean, 'Create Sprint' button greyed out for you? If the board filter is pulling tickets from multiple projects, make sure you have 'Manage Sprints' permission across all those projects.

Like mohithb likes this
LG January 28, 2020

@Veera - hi Veera, thank you for your reply. That's correct. The Sprint button is grayed out. Our Jira Admin, tried to drag an issue into an existing Sprint and it wouldn't allow him to either..

Please see screenshot (we are also unable to right click and assign to a Sprint). As soon as we enable the default Jira rank, the Sprint functions as expected.

Sprint Issue Rank.PNG

Like Veera likes this
Veera
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

Hi @LG 

Sorry for the late response. 

Please check the board filter query and see if there is OR clause in it. If that's the case, the board may be trying to pull the tickets from multiple projects. 

Users need to have _Manage Sprints_ permission across all the projects the filter is trying to pull the tickets from.

Below document explains the caveats of the 'Manage Sprints' permission with some examples. Please take a look.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-800708249.html

Like mohithb likes this
LG March 12, 2020

@Veera  so are you able to sort by Aha! Rank (or another custom field) and still create a Sprint?

Suggest an answer