Re-order tickets in a kanban board

Lisa Rockhill January 18, 2024

I used to be able to re-order the cards in a given column of my kanban board - as of today I can no longer do that - anyone have any insight as to why?

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2024

Hello @Lisa Rockhill 

Are you working on a board for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Are you trying to change the order of standard level issues or subtasks?

If you are working on a board for a Company Managed project go to the board Configuration > General page and confirm that the board filter has the ORDER BY Rank ASC clause. If the filter orders by some other field or has no ORDER BY clause, that is the problem. It must use the ORDER BY Rank clause.

If the board filter does use that, or if you are working with a Team Managed project board, then the issue could be related to your permissions in that project. You must have the Schedule Issue permission to change the Rank of an issue.

Bob Vickers April 19, 2024

@Trudy Claspill I have a similar issue. I can change the filter so it order by Rank, but I used to be able to just drag and drop the priorities rather than have to go into each ticket and give them a rank. Is there any way just to drag and drop?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Hello @Bob Vickers 

I'm not sure what you mean by "go into each ticket and give them a rank". The Rank field is not shown in issues and is not editable by people. It is used internally by Jira and set when cards are dragged and dropped vertically on a board or Backlog view.

The only way that functionality can be used is if the board filter uses the Order By Rank clause. If the filter uses any other Order By clause then you can't drag and drop the cards vertically.

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2024

Hi @Lisa Rockhill - When you say re-order, do you mean stack ranking?  If so, it is likely the underlying board filter has changed and is not configured for ranking.  If you go to the board configuration, you should see the option Add Rank which will update the board filter with ORDER BY Rank.  That should get you back to being able to stack rank your issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events