Ranking is disabled, as the Filter Query for this board is not ordered by ascending Rank.

Anshulee Asthana November 13, 2019

When I am trying to reorder the Stories in JIRA to prioritise them, am getting the following message:

"Ranking is disabled, as the Filter Query for this board is not ordered by ascending Rank. Please check your filter configuration."

Have checked the answers online and they seem to be two solutions mentioned:

1. Removing "Order By" clause. But the existing filer already does not have an "Order By" clause.
  2. Adding "Order By" clause. On adding this, the filter does not seem to be getting saved.

Existing Situation:

In the "Board Settings" Page,

• Role is of an "Administrator"
  • Saved Filter Query: project = XYZ OR project = "ABC EFG" AND labels = HJK
  • Ranking: Ranking is disabled, as the Filter Query is not ordered by Rank
  • There is no option to change the Ranking option. There is no "Add Rank" option

Can someone help?

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019

Do you own the board/filter? Assuming so, click on the ellipses in the top right o the board go to General and click edit filter. Add “order by rank ASC” and click the search button the click Save. Return to board and verify it is working.

Anshulee Asthana November 14, 2019

Thanks @Jack Brickey , getting the owner of the board to change made the difference.

Like # people like this
Jess Landmann July 16, 2020

Why can't administrators of the board order? I build all our boards, but I am not responsible to order them.  Seems strange that an administrator of a board can't do this.  

Jess Landmann July 16, 2020

Also, I use script runner, so I can click Add Rank, but it gets reset when the filter gets updated

Like Brecht Seys likes this
Jean-William Claxton April 17, 2023

Yep, ORDER BY Rank ASC lets you drag and drop tickets where you want

Suggest an answer