Rank by Priority, then by Due Date

Cheryl Wetherington August 23, 2011

Is there a way to have Jira sort by Priority, and then rank the issue within Priority by the Due Date? I want to be able to place a secondary ordering so that my developer knows that even though he has 3 blocker issues, there is one I need him to do first. I applied due dates with the hope that when they were displayed, it would re-order them, but nothing happened.

I'm looking for a way to further prioritize without having 10 different priority levels. People just start ignoring the levels at that point.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2011

Using JQL, this should fit your needs:

project = PROJ AND resolution IS EMPTY AND ORDER BY priority DESC, dudate DESC
0 votes
Niklaus Hählen January 9, 2017

Having the same wish like the tread starter - don't work here... sad

Working in JIRA Software Cloud.

JQL: priority != Highest AND status != Done ORDER BY priority DESC, duedate DESC

Result:

2017-01-10_09h56_42.png

An AND between "status!=Done" and "ORDER BY" result in an error.

What's wrong? Any ideas appreciated, thx in advance!

0 votes
Ming Chen October 28, 2015

This does not seem to be working for me. Look what I did and what my results are. Looks like it's not following the right sorting for me. HELP!

tm1234.pngTM123.png

0 votes
Cheryl Wetherington August 24, 2011

Here is my disclaimer - I'm not a developer! Looking at the above: project = PROJ AND resolution IS EMPTY AND ORDER BY priority DESC, dudate DESC

If the issue is resolved and reassigned back to me, and I determine it's not complete and reopen it, will this sort still work,

or do I need something that says if the resolution is not closed?

Thanks for the help!

Cheryl Wetherington August 29, 2011

Here is my disclaimer - I'm not a developer! Looking at the above: project = PROJ AND resolution IS EMPTY AND ORDER BY priority DESC, dudate DESC

If the issue is resolved and reassigned back to me, and I determine it's not complete and reopen it, will this sort still work, or do I need something that says if the resolution is not closed?

Thanks for the help!

justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2011

It depends. If your workflow clears the resolution field on a reopen, then the issue would show up in this filter.

Cheryl Wetherington September 2, 2011

Hi Justin,

Would you be able to tell me where specifically this code is supposed to go? Can you give me a URL or a screen shot showing the appropriate editor? We are using the default settnigs of workflow, but I'm not sure how to tell if the resolution field is cleared or not. This is what I have:

Thanks so much for your help!

Workflows

View Workflow Steps — jira

Shared by1 project

This shows all of the steps for jira.

Not editable because workflow is Active.

<th style="text-align: left; padding-top: 0.426em; padding-right: 0.426em; padding-bottom: 0.316em; padding-left: 0.426em; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: #999999; font-size: 1em; vertical-align: top; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #bbbbbb;">Step Name(id)</th><th style="text-align: left; padding-top: 0.426em; padding-right: 0.426em; padding-bottom: 0.316em; padding-left: 0.426em; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: #999999; font-size: 1em; vertical-align: top; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #bbbbbb;">Linked Status</th><th style="text-align: left; padding-top: 0.426em; padding-right: 0.426em; padding-bottom: 0.316em; padding-left: 0.426em; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: #999999; font-size: 1em; vertical-align: top; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #bbbbbb;">Transitions (id)</th><th style="text-align: left; padding-top: 0.426em; padding-right: 0.426em; padding-bottom: 0.316em; padding-left: 0.426em; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: #999999; font-size: 1em; vertical-align: top; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #bbbbbb;">Operations</th>
Open (1) Open Open Start Progress (4)
>> In Progress
Resolve Issue (5)
>> Resolved
Close Issue (2)
>> Closed
In Progress (3) In Progress In Progress Stop Progress (301)
>> Open
Resolve Issue (5)
>> Resolved
Close Issue (2)
>> Closed
Resolved (4) Resolved Resolved Close Issue (701)
>> Closed
Reopen Issue (3)
>> Reopened
Reopened (5) Reopened Reopened Resolve Issue (5)
>> Resolved
Close Issue (2)
>> Closed
Start Progress (4)
>> In Progress
Closed (6) Closed Closed Reopen Issue (3)
>> Reopened

justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2011

If you open action #3 (Reopen Issue), there should be a Post Function that indicates the Resolution field will be cleared of its value.

Cheryl Wetherington September 3, 2011

I found the Post Function and it does indicate the resolution will be cleared. Thanks!

Would you be able to tell me where specifically this code is supposed to go? Can you give me a URL or a screen shot showing the appropriate editor? Sorry, so not a developer.

Cheryl Wetherington September 9, 2011

Can you give me more specifics on where the code has to be placed?

justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2011

Click Issues and select Advanced Search. You can input the JQL query there.

Cheryl Wetherington September 10, 2011

Aha! Thank you very much - it worked perfectly!

Suggest an answer