Random "Done" Issues Showing Up in New Sprint Once Sprint is Started

Keilah Smith October 28, 2019

Hi! We have a team who experiences random old issues being added to their new sprints in Jira as soon as they select "Start Sprint". None of the issues were in their project Backlog prior to suddenly appearing in their new sprint. 

Many of these issues are from months ago and are in Done or Cancelled status. Some have a value in the Resolution field and some do not. I've noticed a few of them have open subtasks but most of them do not. Has anyone else experienced this and found a resolution? I'm stumped!

3 answers

1 vote
Danielle Zhu September 28, 2022
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2019

Everything in Done status should have a resolution. That may be part of the problem

Keilah Smith October 31, 2019

Most of the issues did have some value in the Resolution field. Many of them had a Resolution and did not have other stories/tasks associated with them so I'm not sure what else could cause them to be pulled into a new Sprint.

If an issue in category Done is removed from a completed sprint could that cause it to automatically be placed in your new sprint? Several of the issues that were added showed in their Activity that they were removed from a sprint at some point prior to the new sprint being created. 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2019

Keilah - The only way I know of that this can occur is when you complete a sprint, move the tasks that are not completed to the next sprint.  In between starting the new sprint individuals close the parent task leaving the sub-tasks open or close the issue already associated with the Sprint.  Then when you create the sprint the sub-tasks and completed issues will appear.  

Keilah Smith October 31, 2019

Most of the stories that were pulled into the new sprint did not have any tasks or other stories associated with them. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

Keilah,

They do not need to have any task or story associated with them to be pulled in.  All that needs to happen is you need to add them to the next sprint at the close of the sprint and then someone closes the issue before the sprint is started.

Suggest an answer