REST API for Associating a Screen with a Workflow Transition

Paul Sorauer July 19, 2021

I'm really confused...

Using the JIRA v3 REST API, I can perform the following:

1. Create custom fields
  2. Create a screen
  3. Add screen tabs and fields to a screen
  4. Create a workflow, including specifying transitions

However, it seems there's no interface for associating a screen with a workflow transtion (although the GET for a workflow shows any applicable screens for transitions).

Why am I confused? There appears to be no reason of including the ability of creating a screen in the REST API if the screen cannot be functionally associated with anything. Surely there's no point in the ability of creating a screen in the API if it can't be used...

Am I missing something? I've looked through all the REST API doco but there's nothing I can find that will allow me to effect this. I know it was a long shot but I did attempt to add the screen to the transition on creating the worklfow (schema assumed from the GET of the workflow) but of course this results in an error (not unexpected but disappointing):

Workflow POST body excerpt:

{
    "name": "In progress",
    "from": [
      "1"
    ],
    "to": "3",
    "type": "directed",
    "screen": {
      "id": "10005"
    }
},

400 Response

"errorMessages": [  "Unrecognized field \"screen\"

Is there any way to associate a screen to a workflow transition via the REST API?

Cheers.

1 answer

0 votes
Rey Joshua Macarat January 10, 2023

Any updates on this?

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Rey Joshua Macarat ,

Welcome to the community!

Version 3 of the REST API is still in beta, it has been for quite a while. And a part of this beta API is an experimental endpoint to create a workflow. I believe that's the one @Paul Sorauer used when we wrote his original post. 

Since then, it seems that Atlassian have indeed updated the API to allow adding screens to transitions, very much like in Paul's example.

I have not tried this myself, so your mileage might vary, but at least it's in the official documentation now.

Best regards,
 Oliver

Like Rey Joshua Macarat likes this

Suggest an answer