Quickly add most-used conditions/post functions

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2013

So I'm setting up a project and it occurs to me how much time is used doing some of the simple things like setting up a required resolution and clearing it when adding a reopen transition.

I don't suppose someone's seen a JRA feature request or a plugin that would provide the flexibility to pick up on 'Closed' and 'Reopen' type of status and when they are selected perhaps prompt 'require resolution?'

That's really specific, but perhaps a frequently used set of conditions and post functions could be added either on the edit/add transition screen (or as tab or optional 2nd step), either intelligently showing the last x number used proving the ability to quickly re-use, or configurable, allowing you to copy already implmented transitions there for ease of re-use.

Am I crazy or does that sound useful? Anything similar to that exist that I am maybe overlooking? Sure maybe I could be more efficient by copying a workflow instead of starting from scratch but that's not always ideal either.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2013

Hey Stephen,

Take a look at common transitions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Workingwith'commontransitions'

This should help you within a given a workflow. When working across workflows, I would recommend that you set up a single template workflow which has the basics which you tend to reuse, and then copy it and edit it whenever you need. This is not optimal to your request but it may improve your admin experience with 0 turnaround time really.

I also think that your general idea is a good one, and that you should consider filing it as a JRA (I couldn't find an existing one)

Cheers,
Boris

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2013

Yeah, we have a few basic workflows we frequently start from, but as a team that prides ourselves on making JIRA fit all of our teams the best it can they're only so useful.

I've created my first JRA feature request! It is here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31820

Suggest an answer