Questions on Zephyr Features

madhusudhananravi December 29, 2016

Hi,

We develop Firmwares for which tests have to be run in a continuous basis.

I am assigned with the task of studing Zephyr for integrating zephyr in our test environment. We already use JIRA for Issue Tracking

Our aim is to move from Test Specification and report documents to Zephyr.

We have milestones for every quarter and tests have to be run for each milestone in a project.

1. We run the existing tests from earlier milestone to current milestone.
  2. Also add new tests as part of current milestone.

Each milestone will be assigned with a version and the tests have to be repeatedly executed for each version. 

We have 3 major Testing under each 100s of tests are available - Unit Tests, Embedded Tests and Static Tests.

Questions

1. We need to have test database for each Unit/Static/Embedded Tests - This I assume can be created as 3 Test cycles and they shall be assigned to version. When a new version is added, the test cycle shall be cloned to new version.
     - Please Advice
  2. Is it possible to have multiple Test 'Types'.? When Create Issue is selected, user shall select any of the multiple Test type to be created.
    This will provide us more flexibility as we can use TestCycles for further classification.

3. Is cloning of Test cycles across Projects possible.?
  4. Is selective cloning possible.? When cloned from Project A -> Project B, tests under particular components only shall be cloned.
  5. Is Test cycle Export to Excel possible - Shall contain data from all the Test case.
  6. Is Test Exection Report possible - A HTML report is required to be shared to stakeholders.
  7. Is there any gadget for view test execution status across Test cycles of different versions.?
  8. Is it possible to generate historical report.? i.e. To check how a particular test has performed over a set of versions in a project.?
  9. Is it possible to generate a traceability report. It shall have the Test ID and Requirement fields in a csv or excel format.?
  10. Is it possible to have common information pages? - To have common test environment details, how the tests are performed, details of the HW used and few performance data collected during test execution.

Regards,

Madhu.

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user December 29, 2016

Hi, Are you using Zephyr for JIRA or Zephyr Enterprise?

Answers to a few of your questions will be based on what environment you are using.

I am giving you a few tips here that can help you if you are using ZE.

1. You can create as many test cycles as you want, but you cannot clone them. You can simply assign the same set of test cases from previous cycle to a new cycle easily.
  2. Yes, it is possible. Create a multi select field for TestType and populate with proper values in advance for your users to select one valid value at the time of test case creation. This field can be mapped from a JIRA field (for test type) for sync between JIRA and ZE.
  3. No, but you can assign the same test cases from one cycle to other. You will have to create standard folders first to keep your test cases and you should be able to assign the test cases from the folders to test cycles that are available to use.
  4. Within ZE, it is not possible. However, if you use bulk clone in Jira, it is possible. If you map the projects with the projects in ZE and any test lead who has access to the multiple projects should be able to assign the test cases from one project to other. The configuration in ZE doesn't need to be project based, but cycle based. You should be able to configure multiple project related test cases within a given test cycle. For example, Performance Testing can be conducted simultaneously for more than one project.
  5. Yes
  6. Test Execution results will be in ZE dashboard and that can be linked with Confluence with a simple add on
    1. If you use EasyBI with Jira, you can pull test case execution information also for your reporting and can be shown as HTML page too.
  7. Yes, ZE has the functionality to do so.
  8. Yes, ZE has historical trending reports too.
  9. Yes, if you link your requirement with test case in ZE, it is possible
  10. No, you will have to rely on Confluence for your documentation. ZE has documentation section, but not HTML friendly. ZE is flash based software!

I have installed, configured, and migrated from Zephyr for JIRA to ZE and if you need further help, you can contact me here. Thanks.

Arjun_Bhatt June 20, 2018

Is it possible to migrate existing test executions, test cycles, test cases and attachments from zephyr for jira to zephyr enterprise?

Suggest an answer