Questions about Jira Software Premium

Simeon Cheeseman April 16, 2019

So I just got notified about the new Premium features in Jira, particularly the new Roadmap features which look like exactly what we've been trying (and failing) to do in portfolio. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/premium-roadmap-features-968680505.html)

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is restricted to only Next-gen projects or can be used across normal/old projects as well? We still have quite a few issues that prevent us from moving to next-gen projects.

I know it might be a bit early to be asking as the waitlist has only recently been opened but I'd like to know before getting my co-workers hopes up!!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2019

Hi @Simeon Cheeseman 

Thanks for raising this question. We understand your struggles with portfolio, and we've been working hard to help you easily create and share plans from right within Jira Software. 

As you've seen, the new roadmap is available exclusively in next-gen projects; you get one by default with any next-gen project creation. With our premium offering, you'll see more features for advanced planning available on top of this roadmap, such as dependency management and forecasting. 

To answer your question, this roadmap in next-gen projects is not compatible with classic projects and we don't have any immediate plans to make it so. It's also worth noting that the roadmap in your next-gen project today can only be based on your team's work in the same project.

If you haven't already, we recommend you to sign up for our early access program to try it out and tell us what you want to see. As always, your feedback is what guides us to continually improve your experience.

Cheers,

Erika Sa

Atlassian Product Manager

Simeon Cheeseman April 17, 2019

Hi Erika.

Thanks for the reply, looks like we'll have to struggle on with Portfolio for a while longer as we can't use next-gen projects due to the lack of cross-project issues/epics, security levels, lack of templates/restrictions in issue status flow and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now. I'll watch out for more news.

Thanks, Simeon.

Like justin likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

@Erika Sa that's good to know, we have been considering the migration from Jira Server to Cloud and our Marketing team would really like to use Roadmaps, this is very helpful information.

Thanks!

Heidi Hess April 26, 2019

Same situation as above on NextGen projects.  *sigh* 

Like Edie Hovermale likes this
1 vote
Kirk Brohman June 12, 2019

As a Jira Software Cloud user, I'm really confused as to what my roadmap/portfolio planning options are and what Atlassian recommends. There appear to be three choices:

1. Portfolio for Jira
  2. Jira Software Premium (still in early access)
  3. Jira Align (not sure of the status)

As a Jira user, I want to get more advanced cross-team roadmap planning capabilities, but have no idea which is the preferred solution for my situation.

A_Raadls July 16, 2019

I have been thoroughly thinking through exactly these points, and unfortunately, after continuing to get close to moving off Atlassian to other tools in the market moving quickly on these fronts, I did so a few weeks ago.  If you'll notice this thread was started in mid-March, and today we can still not do a lot of the basics needed in Jira in Next-Gen, such as link an Epic to any issue in another project (!).  One of the main reasons I had to move to another solution.

A big piece I was expecting to evaluate to possible solve this, "Map Epics to larger Initiatives" as mentioned near the bottom of this page:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/premium?_ga=2.260799501.1217850004.1563274300-1277265294.1563274300

is still presumably "coming"...although hard to acknowledge the "soon" part as I got into this EAP in May, no word on an update, and it's been two months.  I'd expect much more speed from Atlassian in delivering such highly needed features, given your guys' priding yourself in Agile, lean, being a "high-performing" team, etc.  

Given that Next-Gen came out last October and there is a plethora of missing features, as visible in various threads across this community, not just this one, my doubts about the future of Jira Next-Gen are huge right now.  It's a real shame as the UX/UI improvements, among other stuff I am really impressed with that came with Next-Gen, are almost like stuck on an island in a huge ocean removed from whatever is taking you guys so long to bring it into a normal product development cycle so regular features can get added. 

There are other competitors like Monday.com, ClickUp, to name a few that regularly release lengthy feature release notes and update users on progress, and just plain deliver more quickly.

Hope this is useful feedback, and I really hope that some higher-up Product Mangers at Atlassian will dig deep, to coin an expression from Sports, and solve whatever is taking so long to get these features to market and get the two Jira's aligned.  And just plain deliver features regularly, more quickly!  I have found similar frustration with the new Confluence, released a while back and with bugs or lost features, such as moving the page to center-justify with no way to get it back to left-justify, although after months you guys did bring that functionality back.  There were not as many enhancements easily available in the new version either in my opinion.

I have for now moved my team off Atlassian, but watching closely and I can come back anytime if some of this was addressed.  I'm guessing I'm not the only one that has done this...

Thanks guys for listening...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2019

@Simeon Cheeseman @Timothy Martel @Kirk Brohman @Heidi Hess @Kirk Brohman 

Hi everyone, we're currently investigating how teams plan at project level as well as at program level. If you're interested in joining the chat, please refer to this discussion : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-discussions/Program-managers-we-need-your-help-We-want-to-learn-about-how/td-p/1159261

0 votes
Timothy Martel May 2, 2019

We can't use next-gen because they're just too simplistic and missing critical features that the classic plans offer.  I really wish this roadmapping capability was released for classic plans.  Its exactly what we want.  (and what portfolio is not giving us.)

Heidi Hess May 2, 2019

Absolutely concur.  And the feedback on Portfolio in these threads, which is on my roadmap, is making me rethink that whole strategy.  

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer