Question on formatting a CSV for import and creating parent/child relationship

Kathy Dickason May 7, 2024

I am reading this article:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Under the heading: Creating parent / child relationships
There is an example shown as:
IssueType, Summary, FixVersion, FixVersion, FixVersion, Component, Component, Issue ID, Parent, Reporter
Bug, "First issue", v1, , , Component1, , 1, , abcde-12345-fedcba
Story, "Second issue", v2, , , Component1, Component2, 2, 5, fedcb-12345-edcba
Bug, "Third issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1, , 3, , abcde-12345-fedcba
Sub-task, "Fourth issue", v1, v2, , Component2, , , 2, fedcb-12345-edcba
Epic, "Fifth issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1, , 5, , abcde-12345-fedcba

In this example, on the "Fourth issue" line, is it missing the Issue ID? Shouldn't it include a 4 here as the Issue ID? I ask, since the text in this section indicates, "Ensure each issue in your CSV is given a unique (sequential) number in the "Issue Id" column."  Yet this example is missing an Issue ID in the "Fourth issue" line.

Please advise. I need to create an export file that will come in with several sub-tasks that must be linked to parents, so I'm trying to understand if those sub-tasks should have an Issue ID.  I'm confused because it is missing in the example, but stated in the text that every issue should have a unique one in Issue ID!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

@Kathy Dickason 

Each subtask has to have an ID on your CSV (example: if parent ID is 4, child should be 4.1, 4.2, .... otherwise it won't work properly.

Below is the link that explains the steps in a very clear way:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

If you have any questions, let me know 

Best,

Fadoua

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

Btw I am confused are you Datacenter or cloud user?

Kathy Dickason May 7, 2024

Your link explained it perfectly. I'm on Data Center. Thank you for the info.  I see no Issue ID is needed for a sub-task, only the Parent ID.

Like Fadoua likes this

Suggest an answer