Question about JIRA version report's predicted release date

I have a question about JIRA's version report: 

According to the documentation, the predicted release date is based on the "estimated work remaining". When certain tickets have no estimation, does that mean that the prediction assumes there is no work associated with these tickets?

For example in our company not all stories are estimated right away and defects are (by design) never estimated. In order to estimate stories, we use story points.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Christoph,

The prediction does not assume there is no work associated with the unestimated issues, but as there is no estimate, it cannot take them into account for the prediction.

There is some information that might help you interpret the accuracy of the report:

A first thing - as also mentioned in the documentation your refer to - is the optimistic and pessimistic predicted release date. The prediction adds 10% of uncertainty / deviation to your velocity metric of past work delivered to account for fluctuations in the speed of delivery.

And second, there is an indication of the percentage of unestimated issues in your backlog (shown in red in the chart). Although they aren't quantified, it gives you an indication of the work in your backlog that is not accounted for in terms of estimations. So you at least get a feel of how reliable the predicted release date might be at a given point in time.

@Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT] what would be nice is if the same chart was provided but considered cycle time and used monte carlo instead of estimates - that would be REALLY powerful.

Why use a 10% for pessimistic and optimistic when you can use a monte carlo simulation? The chart would look the same, it would just have a confidence band with multiple "times to complete" with a % of certainty. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,981 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot