Question about Fields...

Hi All

I am sure there must be an answer to this somewhere but I just cant find it so I will appologise up front if this is stupid.

I have installed JIRA and am now working on creating the workflow etc.

I have added in various custom fields. But there are a number of what I guess are system fields such as Affects Version, Assignee, fix version/s etc.

Is there a list of these anywhere and how they behave? Can I delete them?

Thanks in advance

Nick

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Penny Wyatt Atlassian Team Jun 14, 2012

Hi Nick,

It's not possible to delete the System fields, because many of them are associated with special behaviour in JIRA. However, if you don't need them you can hide them, which achieves the same purpose. The docs for this are here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Specifying+Field+Behaviour#SpecifyingFieldBehaviour-Hidingorshowingafield

I haven't found a proper list of the system fields in a quick search of the docs, so here's a quick brain-dump:

Affects Version/s - a version picker, which references Project Versions that you can create on the project admin screen. (e.g. 5.0, 3.1). Affects Version is intended to contain the version of the product where the issue was found.
Assignee - a user picker that contains the user that's meant to be working on the issue right now.
Attachment - files uploaded to an issue
Comment - a text field for commenting on an issue
Component/s - a component picker, which references Project Components that you create on the project admin screen. (e.g. UI, Database). Components can have a person who is the Component Lead, who gets auto-assigned any issues with that component set.
Description - the main text field for describing the issue
Due Date - a date picker for when the issue should be fixed by
Environment - a text field for describing the environment in which the issue occurred (e.g. "IE9 on Windows 7")
Fix Version/s - a version picker, this is intended to contain the version of the product where you fixed the issue.
Issue Type - whether the issue is a bug, story, improvement, etc. You can add more issue types from the Issue Types admin screen.
Labels - labels are short text strings for grouping issues into categories. Similar to Components except that users can put any arbitrary value in there.
Linked Issues - an issue picker field, for joining related issues together
Log Work/Time Tracking - allows a user to specify how much time they have spent on an issue, and plan how long an issue will take. This shows up in nice bar charts on the view issue page.
Priority - how important an issue is (blocker, critical, major, etc). You can configure these from the Priorities admin screen.
Reporter - a user picker that contains the user that created the issue.
Resolution - how the issue was resolved (fixed, duplicate, Won't Fix, etc). You can configure these from the Resolutions admin screen.
Security Level - who can see the issue. By default everyone with browse access to the project can see all issues in it, but you can set it up so that some issues are limited to particular users.
Summary - a single-line text field that should contain a short summary of the issue

To pick an issue at random from our public instance, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9 shows many of these system fields in action.

Hope this helps!

And does anybody know how to hide this system field in a "beautiful way". We have some simple issue types that doesn't need all this Priority, Affected Version, Components.

Unfortunately when we hide them on Issue type Level you can see Issue Type Field and after bigggg space and than Label Field.

Probably this system fields have predefined places, so if we hide them, this place is just empty, but another field doesn't slips up. Is there any possibility to configure it ?

Thanks in advance!

Penny Wyatt Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2014

Hi M.P.,

That's odd, I've never seen that behaviour. There's no "predefined places" for fields - just predefined blocks of fields (dates and people on the right; summary, details, description and activity on the left). On my own personal JIRA instance I've hidden most of the system fields and the leftover ones squash up nicely.

Do you perhaps have a third-party addon installed that might be causing this? You can test this by going to the Manage Add-ons page in administration and clicking "Enter safe mode" in the footer.

Cheers,

Penny

Hi Penny,

I've tried your proposal and disabled plugins by "Entering safe mode", unfortunately it doesn't changed. Space between Issue Type field and Label fields is still there, like two field were missing, in this case Priority and Affected Version.

JIRA Version 6.2.7

Penny Wyatt Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2014

Very strange. Thanks for trying that option.

Here's the screenshow from my instance (6.3-OD8), which shows how it should behave:

http://content.screencast.com/users/PennyWyatt/folders/Jing/media/ec9157f1-4d42-4814-8f77-c934a6b2e327/2014-07-19_0114.png

If that's not what you're seeing when you hide fields then I recommend raising a Support ticket on https://support.atlassian.com. Our lovely Support folks should be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

1 vote

You can't delete system fields, but you can "hide" them on a project by project (or global) level. The only one you cannot "hide" is the Summary - it's mandatory on all issues. There's no harm in losing any of the fields.

I'd suggest most of them are pretty useful in most cases (reporter, assignee, description), but the ones I'd think about "dropping" for some projects are:

Components - in really simple projects which aren't much more than to-do lists

Versions - if you're not tracking versions, sprints or releases in a project

Timetracking / worklog - if you're not doing time tracking

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour - there's a really handy box in the middle which (accidentally) lists all the "system" fields, under the heading of

Modifying field behaviour"

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

713 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you