Query to identify epic name

Jason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2022

Hi all

I have various epics created with various issues linked (parent of). I wish to present the name of the epic which is the parent of an issue derived from a value in a custom field that has been created for us (lets call it owner) 

So my idea is

Number of issues for owner = number

Epic name = Epic associated with owner assigned to a child issue

I can identify the number of the issues associated to the user, however I am not sure on the syntax I might need to use to identify the epic (I am basing it on the basic search function then looking at the advanced syntax). I noticed there are other parameters but have not used them before.

J

1 answer

0 votes
Danielle Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

Hi Jason

I've not been able to find that native functionality, despite much searching, as JQL only has limited nested queries. Apps, such as Scriptrunner or JQL Search Extensions, can provide that extra layer of reporting. If you'd like it as a gadget on a dashboard, I'd recommend Rich Filters.

Someone may be along to tell us that it can be done, otherwise, maybe there's a feature request for JQL since it's such a popular (and obvious) requirement.

If you're on Server however, you won't be able to add any new apps to your instance.

I hope that helps

Danielle

Suggest an answer