Query returns two values for one field

Jeff Winget October 9, 2012

My predecessor created a custom field called "change type" that is similar to the standard issuetype. The problem: When you query changetype, the results get split into two values.

See screenshot, note that "non-defect" appears twice. Oddly, if you click on either one, the associated list contains all "non-defect" issues - the sum of both reported values (292+3).

I recently re-indexed the database hoping that would help. It didn't. Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

Do you have multiple contexts defined for the custom field catering to different projects? In that case JIRA has no way to determine that the selected values are the same even though the text is the same.

The only way is to get rid of individual contexts and use a common context for all the projects.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-Context

Jeff Winget October 14, 2012

Renjith, thank you - this appears to be the cause of the problem. There are two contexts - one for a single project, and one for everything else. I need to do some digging to find out why this was done...and whether I can fix it. Thanks again! -Jeff

0 votes
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Seems like some faulty value got inserted in the database some how, probably second value might have an extra space in it, please check the database for same.

Jeff Winget October 9, 2012

Thanks Vishwajeet, but I believe this cannot be the answer. The reason: Clicking either of the returned values (as described in the original post) returns a list of all "non-defect" issues (295 issues). If there was a faulty value, you would get two lists - one with 293 issues and one list with 2 issues. Or am I missing something obvious?

I'm leaning more toward a defect in the Issue Statistics Gadget...

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

What I said might be wrong but it still worth checking, there has to be some anomly for two values to be shown. search function might be trimming the extra spaces and the report you are looking at may not.

What I am suggesting are just posibilities from my past experience your environment and issue can be different.

Jeff Winget October 10, 2012

I agree that it is worth checking. For lack of a better method, I tried the query in different ways, including making sure that "non-defect" and "change type" were quoted to exclude preceding or trailing blanks. I also used the "=" rather than anything that could have returned approximated results. No luck.

Do you know of a way to check the database more thoroughly? Thanks again for the interest.

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

What database backend you are running? use database browser to browse the data.

I am not sure if that will help try running integrity checker on database.

Suggest an answer