Query issues that are descendants of a specific folder (not issue) in a Structure

Daniel Holmes May 3, 2016

I’m playing with the structure plugin (trial version) and trying to build a query to support seeing part of my structure in different display boards.

I have created some top level structure tree using folders to group my Jira Software Epics (I’m using folders because I don’t want to have issues for parent level epics, that seems to just clutter my issue list since Jira doesn’t understand the structure relationship and these upper level epic issues are unattached to anything from the JIRA point of view).

Now, in a JQL query, I’m not clear on how to obtain all the issues that are in a folder.  I want to use the structure() method in my JQL to do this

Structure(“MyStructure”, “descendant of SPECIFIC_FOLDER_IN_THE STRUCTURE“

But I don’t know how to specify the SPECIFIC_FOLDER_IN_THE STRUCTURE.  If I was grouping issues, I could use the issue ID of this parenting epic it appears according to the S-JQL reference and cookbook, but I don’t understand how to do this for a folder in the structure which doesn’t seem to have an ID other than its name

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Holmes May 3, 2016

Further googling seems to indicate that this is a current limitation.  See https://jira.almworks.com/browse/HJ-2574

1 vote
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2016

You can now query folders by name with S-JQL (as of Structure 3.3), the query will look like

issue in structure("My Structure", "descendant of folder('next release')")

See the documentation for advanced search options (regex and exact name matching).

1 vote
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2016

Hi Daniel,

You are correct - currently there is a limitation. We have this in our backlog already and are thinking what would be the best way to implement it, but I'm afraid I cannot give you any estimate now. Please vote and watch the issue you've mentioned and the linked one:

https://jira.almworks.com/browse/HJ-2588

As an alternative, you can try using the higher level epics and link them to the epics that implement them. This is quite a common use case for many of our customers.

Another option would be to create some custom field for the Epics that you want to group and then group by this custom field. In this case you'll be able to both quickly find the epics you need and easily build your structure by either dragging and dropping epics to the right groups or by updating this field.

Thanks,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Suggest an answer