Query for specific checkboxes being checked in a custom field

Casey Jones August 2, 2017

I have a custom field "Review" for my "core" Project. In that field are 4 checkboxs. "Tested" "Design Reviewed" "Code Reviewed" & "Needs Review".

I'm trying to set up individual filters for the design dashboard, Dev dashboard, and QA Dashboard. So I need a query that tells me if just "design reviewed" is unchecked, just "tested" is unchecked, and just "code reviewed" is unchecked when items are in Awaiting Acceptance.

I gotten this far,

Project = CORE AND "Review" is EMPTY AND status = "Awaiting Acceptance"

But this only tells me if none of them are checked where as I need indivdual checkboxes.

Please Help

4 answers

1 vote
davesoft11 July 5, 2023

Thanks.

The short answer here for the syntax for querying checkboxes via JQL is:

MyCheckbox is not empty

Hope this helps.

0 votes
kuldeep Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

@Casey Jones ,

For this requirement, i think this plugin will work best,

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211562/checklist-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud 

Please check these and let me know for more information.

Thanks.

0 votes
Illia Chekan February 3, 2022

I would suggest changing those checkboxes into statuses, since I'm not sure checkboxes make sense here, statuses would be way more representative and easy to filter by

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

Just Tested is unchecked:

Project = CORE AND status = "Awaiting Acceptance" AND Review = "Design Reviewed" AND Review = "Code Reviewed" AND Review = "Needs Review" AND Review != Tested

Jean-Francois Cartier November 17, 2020

so basically if you add one more option to the checkboxes you have to update your query?

It's far from being robust. Isn't there a way to get the checked/unchecked count on checkboxes?

Michael Simmons
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2022

Thank you @Ignacio Pulgar for that info. 👍

Like Ignacio Pulgar likes this
Nelleke March 10, 2023

Mmmh. This does not work for me. I have one check box "Yes".  It displays "Yes" in the ticket, dashboards and filters.

Reviewed = Yes works beautifully, but I cannot get the reverse to work. Any of the options below returns an empty set and I know I have plenty that don't have it set. I usually want to look a the ones that don't have it set. What am I missing?

• Reviewed != Yes
  • NOT (Reviewed = Yes)
  • !Reviewed = Yes
  • Reviewed IS EMPTY
  • Reviewed NOT IN (Yes)
Nelleke March 10, 2023

I think I found it.

We recently added this field and older tickets don't seem to have it indexed. When I checked the box first, then searched, unchecked it on one ticket, it did find it on the Reviewed is EMPTY JQL.

A stackoverflow post suggested the project may need a reindex.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4922448/search-for-issues-with-custom-field-of-type-multi-checkboxes-not-ticked

Thomas Marshall - Network January 17, 2024

This will bring up any checklists that have NO checklist items entered. 

Checkbox = EMPTY

IF you want to see things that aren't checked use the following:

type = "Task" and !("ChecklistName[Checkboxes]" = Yes)

-*Where Yes above is the item you're looking to see is unchecked. However, it wants to be sure something else IS CHECKED.

ALTERNATE

type = Task AND NOT "ChecklistName[Checkboxes]" = Yes

NOTE - I use Jira Cloud

Suggest an answer