Query: Showing epics linked to features in a different project - how to also show epic children?

Alan Foster July 31, 2020

Hello, I have feature in project FEATUREPROJECT

Multiple teams have Epics which are linked to FEATURE as parent link. Each team has their Epics in their own, separate, projects.

I can get a query to show the Features and Epics: 

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuetype = Feature and project ='FEATUREPROJECT'")  OR project = "FEATUREPROJECT"

What do I need to add to the query to also show the hierarchy of issues beneath those epics?

FEATUREPROJECT is simply a house for feature level issues that impact multiple teams, want to roll it all up into a Portfolio Plan view. 

Use of Plugin - highly doubtful and would take months to get someone approve... you know how it is.

Thanks for your help

Alan

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Alan Foster 

This is possible to do - it looks like you have an app already if you're utilising "issueFunction" - likely ScriptRunner or similar.

See if this works for you:

project = ABC OR issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuetype = Feature AND project = ABC") OR issueFunction in issuesInEpics("issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf('issuetype = Feature AND project = ABC')")

^ This searches for issues in project ABC, the Epics under the Features and then in turn, the issues within those Epics. You could create this as two filters if you prefer, and nestle the first filter for Epics into the second.

I would suggest using the nestled approach if you take this further, as you could also add in issueFunction in subtasksOf() if you want the hierarchical layer below the stories, tasks, etc. Or if you wanted this in one filter it might look something like...

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuetype = Feature and project = ABC") OR issueFunction in issuesInEpics("issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf(\"issuetype = Feature and project = ABC\")") OR issueFunction in subtasksOf("issueFunction in issuesInEpics('issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf(\"issuetype = Feature and project = ABC\")')")

...although depending on your use case - if these issues are to be shown in a Portfolio Plan - you could consider just searching for the Feature Project and all corresponding projects which house the Epics, etc. Unless these projects have lots of issues irrelevant to the Features, this would provide all needed issues and Portfolio would put them into the hierarchical structure you require.

Ste

Alan Foster July 31, 2020

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I will try this over the weekend!  I had started to build a new query to pull in each project, but as you say there are a number of issues in each which do not correspond to the feature set, so folks may not like it. 

Thank you very much and have a great weekend.

Alan

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

No worries - let us know if this works and if not, happy to help further!

Ste

Like Alan Foster likes this
Alan Foster August 1, 2020

I will, thank you again sir!

Alan

Will Vagle August 5, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  - If I want to query all of the Epics underneath a Feature (CON0000616-1035) how would I do that? I don't necessarily need all the stories under the Epic as you've shown. 

I should add too that the epics are all childs of the features in this instance. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2022

Hi @Will Vagle 

How are you linking Epics to a Feature?

Assuming you're using Advanced Roadmaps and the Feature is the direct hierarchical parent of Epic, then it should just be:

"Parent Link" = <Feature key here>

Ste

Suggest an answer