Query Match in Structure

BernardH December 22, 2021

In Structure, using a query match with JQL you are given the visual option of having a green Check mark for a positive result and blank if it was false. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to change the blank to a Red X or some other visual representation other than  blank in a false scenario?

If not using query match, can anyone think of another way to do a visual representation of True or False in a column from a JQL query?

Thanks

Bernard

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Hello @BernardH ,

David from ALM Works here.

You should be able to accomplish you goal through the use of a Formula Column, utilizing an IF Conditional Statement along with Wiki Markup.  This will depend on which version of Structure you are currently on as well as what your JQL Query.

In the example below, I am using Structure 7.3 and reference a specific issuetype.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 3.47.14 PM.png

Please give this a try and let me know how it goes!  I look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

BernardH December 23, 2021

Silly question, where did you get the Checkmark and X from? I can't seem to add the graphic to the statement? Great solution BTW...thanks!

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this

It is emoji...Doh!

Like # people like this
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Hi @BernardH !

I was just drafting a response :) 

Is it working for you now?

Best,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

Yes your answer worked perfectly. It solves one part of the problem, now I am on to part two which is combining that statement with an aditional requirements.

My goals are simple:

If the component field  is EMPTY then show the Red X, If it is populated, then show the Green Check. That works perfectly. However I want to add a second part, which is only look at issuetype in (Epic, Initiative) which I can't get to work in combination.

I want to do the same logic with Acceptance Criteria, but for some reason the formula will not accept "Acceptance Critera"=EMPTY . It does not like it ,but the solution for the first part works perfectly.

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

Hello @BernardH ,

Glad to hear that the first part of the problem is solved!!

For the second part, we can try something like this

if((issuetype = "task" or issuetype = "story")and status = "to do" and assignee != empty; 
"✅";
if((issuetype = "task" or issuetype = "story")and (status != "to do" or assignee = empty);
"❌"))

I am using status and assignee where you will want to use component and acceptance criteria.  

There are some nuances to how we need to use JQL queries inside of a formula that this should help you address.  Please let me know if it helps!

Please also feel free to reach out to our support team via support@almworks.com or our portal support.almworks.com.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

BernardH December 27, 2021

I gave this a try and it is not working for me. It is respecting the issuetype but it is not respecting the EMPTY status of the field and marking it correctly (It does not mark the X at all, it just leaves it blank..

if((issuetype = "Epic" or issuetype = "Initiative")and "Acceptance Criteria" != empty;
"✅";
if((issuetype = "Epic" or issuetype = "Initiative")and "Acceptance Criteria" = empty;
"❌"))

Any suggestions, and as always. I truly appreciate your help!

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

Hello @BernardH ,

I believe I see what is causing the issue.

"Acceptance Criteria" = empty

should be

AcceptanceCriteria = empty

When done this way, AcceptanceCriteria will become a variable.  You may need to map it to the right field if it is not automatically selected.

Please let me know if it helps!  If you would like, we can dive deeper into it via support ticket.  Just send a note to support@almworks.com.

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

Suggest an answer