Quarterly Tasks

Stephen Costanzo September 27, 2017

Hello,

Every quarter the operations team has to do the same set of tasks, let's just say patching UNIX servers. 

I know I cannot clone the current task because it clones all information, including the Fix Version/s, Sprint, etc.

I didn't know if there was a consensus on how people have handled it. I see the add-on Recurring Tasks for JIRA (Cloud)  and Repeating Issues (Server) as two options to automate this process. I am not asking a Cost/Benefit analysis for the add-ons, I am wondering if others have found it easier to just manually enter these repeated quarterly tasks as opposed to finding an automated solution.

Personally, it seems like an automated solution makes sense if the items are exactly the same and repeated monthly, but this is the first time I've had to work with an Enterprise Infrastructure Team using JIRA.

Thank You

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

Stephen, I do it manually with cloning the issues for the next month when I take care of the current set.  I however only have a few task that reoccur.  Like Nic above, the add-ons are overkill for the few I do.

2 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2017

I'm with Nic on this. Each sprint we need 3 tasks, each having between 1 and 5 subtasks. I've set up an Excel spreadsheet having the details for each and I run a C# application which reads the spreadsheet and creates everything for me

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

I met in the middle - I don't want to do it manually, but regular task add-ons are overkill when I only need a handful.

I wrote a script which creates tasks over REST, then stuck it in a cron job on one of the Linux servers I look after.

0 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

Hi @Stephen Costanzo ,

I typically set up a table on a Confluence page and use the Jira macro to create an issue for each of the table rows.  This keeps the set of tasks well documented and visible plus easily creates a new set of issues every time I need them.  Cheers!

Here's the latest documentation on the Jira Issue Macro:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/jira-issues-macro-139380.html

Suggest an answer